Geomerics Enlighten Finally supports UE4

It’s good for their situation, but most people it won’t be useful. Doesn’t mean Lionhead is wrong, just that for their game it works for what they want. I’ve tested out LPV so I know where it’s limited

Everything has a purpose. If it doesn’t work for you, then that very think is not for you. For me, I can see the use for their tech. Sure it just like many other developers that have use Enlighten for their “TripleA” titles. Its all about what you want to get out of it. I can see having real GI more important than lets say, “Casting Shadows” from indirect lighting. There’s something about the beauty of the bigger picture than the littlest details.

I haven’t gotten LPV working properly on my end, but the fact that you can only use it with directional light, is a game break. Is it a problem? Not in the least. Its just not what I need right now.

I totally agree with you. Also peoples seems to forget how expensive is Enlighten.

LPV’s are good for certain type of a game but here is no enough control to realistically lit interiors or more vertical levels with buildings that wont receive GI from ground in realistic manner. What i find cool about enlighten is not necessary being able to move lights at run-time but ability to tweak it and make levels that contain areas of high detail but at the same time be able to create open areas with relativly simple lighting. I love quality of baked lightmaps but those make creation of big open level like for example caspian border from BF3 really hard

I was told Lionhead doesn’t use LPV in every situation of the game and that they use a mix of baked and GI. Can anyone confirm ?

Most likely. But then again, Fable has level transitions. For an open world game such as Skyrim that wouldn’t be possible. Unless it is possible to bake lighting on individual level tiles and have LPV on the “container” level.

New Enlighten stuff from GDC : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=154490023#post154490023

I wonder how much will it cost !

Enlighten is available in Unity 5 and Unity 5 is for free now. I really hope Epic integrates it with UE4 !

They can’t (hint* source)

I wonder how Enlighten handles open worlds.

Oh nonono pls not this, don’t do this to my unreal! Pls don’t!
First off Elighten is NOT REALTIME lol. It’s prebaked. And its slow,
and the unity’s dynamic rebake is a joke your cpu is constantly on 100% load at any change to scene.
I would not use it even free, and more than that it uses old Mental Ray tech which is slow as hell.

I really don’t know how do you think this is not real-time and prebaked:

The Gameworks VXGI thats been integrated with UE4 doesn’t give their code away. That is why I really don’t know why Enlighten be integrated for UE4. We will have the biggest choice in choosing the GI solution we want

It’s the same with baking except that Enlighten ‘stores’ data as placeholder which makes it flexible (real-time).

I wonder why didn’t EPIC do something similar?

Final Fantasy VII Remake is using Geomerics Enlighten : http://goo.gl/OJByhA

Here is the Geomerics news about it: http://www.geomerics.com/news/enlighten-in-final-fantasy-vii/

So how do can i activate Enlighten for UE4?

The UNITY 5 Courtyard demo looks pretty insane.