Generic usb controller axis 1-8 events fire constantly, even without devices connected

I have a thing set up in the player controller so that it prints the key display name of any key pressed

for some reason, I’m getting “generic USB controller axis [1-8]” roughly 114 times per second each.
I Unplugged and disconnected all the input devices connected to my PC and nothing changed.

1 Like

Hey there @Injaa! This is definitely a weird one, a phantom controller is not a problem I see regularly. It’s likely some software has a virtual controller named Generic USB controller. You don’t use any software like Joypadder, reWASD, or DS4Windows right? They all can create virtual controllers that sometimes don’t get destroyed when closed.

Is Unreal the only thing that is capturing this input? You can test this by going to one of the many HTML5 gamepad testers (though inconsistent because not all gamepads register) or just playing gamepad games and seeing if it’s detected at all.

Is is always happening even after restart?

I had exactly the same issue.

I resolved it by disabling the RawInput plugin and restarting UE5.

1 Like

Hi. It also happened to me. I do not use any software like Joypadder or smth and I also tested on a HTML5 gamepad tester and everything is fine there, but on unreal all the buttons are spammed and I cant even make you of my controller. Has anyone solved this one yet?

Hey there @A_X_S! Just to verify, you don’t currently have any other input devices connected, virtual or physical, and the Raw input plugin is currently disabled? What gamepad are you using?

PS5 controller. The Raw input plugin in enabled and I am only using a simple bluetooth connection, no other software.

Ahhh there we go, so Dualsense controllers (and well Dualshock controllers) don’t really have a native way to be handled in windows, most people use emulators or wrappers like DS4windows to get their input. Technically the Raw Input plugin in UE can detect the controllers themselves, but because the inputs come in jumbled, it isn’t useful.

To fully utilize DS4/5 controllers functions, you’d need to apply to be a playstation partner to have access to their licensed functionality in UE and then you can use the Playstation plugin.

However many users opt to use third party converters such as Ds4windows during development if they don’t have access.

Disclaimer: One or more of these links are unaffiliated with Epic Games. Epic Games is not liable for anything that may occur outside of this Unreal Engine domain. Please exercise your best judgment when following links outside of the forums.

3 Likes

thank you very much

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.