GenerateProjectFiles fails, Windows/Promoted branch

Trying to build from promoted branch (interested in some new feature etc) and on windows the GenerateProjectFiles step failed (Linux worked fine).
here’s the console:

UnrealBuildTool Exception: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: path1
at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2)
at UnrealBuildTool.VCProjectFileGenerator.ConfigureProjectFileGeneration(String[] Arguments, Boolean& IncludeAllPlatforms) in c:\Users\sshinderman\dev\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\System\VCProjectFileGenerator.cs:line 236
at UnrealBuildTool.ProjectFileGenerator.GenerateProjectFiles(String[] Arguments, Boolean& bSuccess) in c:\Users\sshinderman\dev\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\System\ProjectFileGenerator.cs:line 307
at UnrealBuildTool.UnrealBuildTool.GenerateProjectFiles(ProjectFileGenerator Generator, String[] Arguments) in c:\Users\sshinderman\dev\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\System\UnrealBuildTool.cs:line 1466
at UnrealBuildTool.UnrealBuildTool.DoPostStartupStuffThatCanAccessConfigs(String[] Arguments) in c:\Users\sshinderman\dev\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\System\UnrealBuildTool.cs:line 1269

Hey ScotShinderman-

I was able to download the Promoted branch and run Setup.bat and GenerateProjectFiles.bat successfully. It may be that one or more of the files was corrupted during the first download. Can you try downloading the build again and let me know if you are still unable to run GenerateProjectFiles.bat?

Cheers

No luck – just did a clone/Setup/GenerateProhectFiles.bat
I am running Windows10 and VS2013 – could that combination be an issue?
Is there a way to single step through the scripts with a debugger or print out some log info? Thanks!

Hey scott, if i remember correctly vs2013 is getting partially deprecated in 4.12. Could you try using VS2015?

you bet – i just was stepping into ConfigureProjectFileGeneration in UnreadBuildTool.cs and noticed that the WindowsPlatform.Compiler was choosing VisualStudio2015 even though I don’t have that installed. It will probably take me a day or so to get it installed etc but I bet that’s it.
thanks!

yup that was it (installed vs2015) – thanks for the help!