General workflow for creating models

Sorry if this is covered somewhere but I’m having difficulty finding information on an overview of the modeling process from beginning to end (importing and finalizing meshes within the engine).

I have all the specific information I could want for creating the models, but in terms of the correct chronological ordering of: texturing (do this BEFORE importing into engine?), baking UV, all the various layers of additional information (bump map, normal, etc) when is that handled?

I wish there was a flowchart available that could be adapted for use with any 3D modeling software (I’m using Blender as of right now). I’m a very visual thinker and if I can’t see the process it won’t be immediately clear what the approach is for creating game ready models.

Thanks for your help guys!

You have to create all textures, uv maps, lightmaps,… before you import it into the engine. In the engine you just create the materials, probably a collision and you will place it

This might help a little.

?v=TYmV-8Sc4mw

Thanks Zeeker, that will certainly help clear up the specifics regarding the blender -> UE4 process.

Somehow your link as led me to this: ://instatuts/featured/pipeline-and-workflow-for-creating-a-next-gen-game-asset-shotgun/

Well overall it’s not so much important as to what needs to be done as a ABC work flow but rather how you have your source chain set up that will allow you to go from proxy to completed art that does not require a chronological order.

My process is simple. Build something of relative volume and scale, usually a primitive that defines what is expected to be the completed works that will work and defer requirements by scaling through progression.

A Player model for example

Start with a box primitive to define volume and scale wired to movement system.
Replace box with defined player model mesh
Uvmap and texture model and update.
Add rigging components and update.
Add animations and update.
Finalize and polish as to design requirements and update.

The source chain in this case would be to export via FBX which is imported into UE4 and any changes can be re-imported, replacing the current player model, by progression rather than focusing entirely on a fit to finish result as to the expected design requirements.

So you’re suggesting to create the basic shape of the model (“primitive”) and import that into the engine for movement testing?
Then update that mesh with the more defined next phase mesh.
… so on and so forth.

Or am I misunderstanding?

Thanks for your time!

Yuper that whats works for me.

In my experiences you can not reallllyyy plan things out ahead of time that will always be completed as to fit to finish based on your original design ideals so I usually land up with is 80% of my original concept and 20% derived through iterations.

You will hear the word iterations used ALOT as the result usually arrives through the process of practical application and evaluation and player models is a good example as you can not predict if the design is a fit until you have it moving around in 3d space.

The overall ideal though is to get what you have as a “workable” concept into the game environment as soon as possible so you can see visually see how it “all” scales relative to one object to another and focus more on the source chain that makes it an easy task to replace “stuff” that does not fit with the design.

Thanks for the information Frankie!

Once I get this importing moving forward it’ll be on to simple animation for my movements!