[Gear VR] Distribution version of app crashes on Note 4 (Mobile VR Jam)

Looks like they’ll allow us to submit non distro builds. https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=23099&p=268574#p268682

I’m going down this road. It’s a bit late in the game to deal with such a major issue.

Looks like I am a bit out of my depth here.

Since the AA was not working I switched back to the 4.7.6 (UE Launcher version) since this deploys the apk much faster.
That; combined with the fact that I only can spend a few hours a week on this project, I am not up to speed with the GitHub builds and the merging of folders etc. ( Just wanted to enter a nice puzzle game into the Jam :smiley: )

I fear we (as in me and an other guy just learning UE4) might need to throw in the towel; just before the finish-line. There is so much stuff we still need to do on the game itself. I can’t bear the thought of doing all that and then not be able to publish the correct apk :slight_smile:

[edit] just posted this before I read the msg form Bino

Whew. Excellent news from Oculus. I’m just going to build with Shipping then.

We’ll still make sure to figure out the stripping on our end.

In Engine\Build\Android\Java, can you please append the following lines to proguard-project.txt next time you feel like making a distribution build?

-keep public interface android.app.IVRManager {
	*;
}

-keep class com.oculusvr.vrlib.** {
	*;
}

I haven’t had a chance to test this out, so I’m taking a blind stab at the format, but I think this should be correct.

Hi JJ,

I added the lines. The app will start on my phone; but I have a black screen and the rings from the Mobile template.

Haven’t even tackled this yet. Need to do at least a test run today though! I tried this:

Go to Project Setting>Packaging and change to Build Configuration from Development to Shipping

Made sure ‘Use pak file’ was checked and ‘Full rebuild’ was checked. Targeted a new folder different from my dev build.

But I’m still getting and OBB file. of about 400MB and and APK of about 23MB - I’m assuming I should have one APK and no OBB?

Just realised I need to remove my own Osig too, presumably the global signer does what this did so the APK can be loaded on to any Note 4?

Could really do with a step by step for this process for UE4 now that we know the distribution flag does not have to be set for the Jam entry for judges.

Good luck all. Only just over a day to go until the final deadline!

Sleep you are a cruel mistress - I never loved you anyway! :slight_smile:

Hi Robeastham,

You need to goto: project settings - platforms Android - and tick: Package Game data inside .apk

‘use pak file’ is for windows exports

Nearly finished on my side after a super late night last night :smiley:

Thanks aussieberger!

Still going here! Gonna be up to the wire I think. Have done a test deploy and it worked with global signer. Took a couple of uploads - first one failed for some reason. Left the osig in on my test and so now just need to try it without if I can remember where it lives :slight_smile:

Note that when packaging, you can speed things up by going into project settings, packaging or deployment I think, then open the advanced settings and disable full rebuild.

I was able to successfully compile my build to work on the note 4 running Android 4.4.4 with these settings:

Take the .apk file this spits out and upload it to the Mobile VR Jam Global Signing Tool

I’m not sure if it makes a difference but I made sure any .apk I was submitting to the Oculus site had no osig in there for my Note4.

Hey,

I made pull request that fixes this issue. It’s open for almost 2 months now. Pleease have a look at it: https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/pull/1805

It’s been fixed since 4.10 though: