GDD - Parts, damage types and resources

Hi everybody. First off, if I posted in the wrong place please let me know, I couldn’t find a forum section that was dedicated to design questions.

I’m currentý working on a game design document for a game where facility maintenance is a big part, and I need to make a list of parts and machines that can break down, damage types (electrical, corrosive, etc) and resources (oil, electricity, fuel). I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for research, or help me to make a list. My design document is pretty short and lacking a lot of content, but if someone wants to read it to get a better idea, shoot me a PM and I’ll send you a link.

Thanks in advance,

BigMistake

Is this a fictional place or is it set in the modern world?

That answer will make all the difference in research.

If it’s a fictional futuristic city you can put your own spin on things and research can be rather-lite… just lite enough that you understand the concept.
If it’s in the modern world, research should be more in depth and complex.

~ Jason

It’s set in a modern, slightly futuristic world. To give a sense of the game: it’s about surviving in a closed, bunker-like environment. If you think about Blast From The Past, or the work people in Vaults in Fallout would have to perform to keep everything working, you’re in the right direction. Things break down, stop working, etc. I’m not very knowledgable, mechanically speaking, so I’m having trouble wrapping my mind around the list of game objects the player will have to interact with.