Garage Hideout (Environment Practice)

Hello everyone !! I´m back after almost a year to share with you the progress of my very last project for my Videogame Art Master at UA SChool (Valencia, Spain).

As the first time I posted here my work, I´m going to share with you all the progress each week trying to upload it every sunday.

First of all, a quick explanation about my idea and vision of the scene I want to create:

I´ve been playing Escape from Tarkov lately and I liked a lot the looking of the hideout that you have in the game and I also wanted to work on some military stuff, so I decided to create a common house garage re-converted into a military hideout. The aesthetic it´s going to be old and used, almost like an post apocalyptic scene but showing that someone has been using this place sometimes.

Now I´ll show you the blocking and the reference pitch that I created this week:

I want to have a 90/10 ratio about models, I mean 90% of the models in the scene I will modelate myself and the other 10% will be megascans imports.

The hero asset of the scene it´s going to be a muscle car (I´m still thinking about what car model exactly) that it´s going to be rusty and old, as abandoned.

I´ll use vertex painting, decals, tileables and some particles for the textures and atmosphere of the scene, I want to focus a lot on this because right now I´m focusing a lot my learning into rendering and cinematographic results to show amazing works in my portfolio (I want to start working in the industry as soon as possible xD).

And that´s all for this week, for the next week I´ll try to have all the building structure built in maya and implemented in Unreal to start the texturing and start taking a look to my lighting ideas that I will share with you soon.

Thank you for your attention and feel free to share your thoughts with me to help me improve my work !! :wink: :grin:

3 Likes

Nice, this project is going to be awesome! I don’t play Escape from Tarkov myself, but my friends do, and I watch their gameplay sometimes. It’s an interesting game and can be very harsh on the CPU. The frame drops become unbearable when the AI is spawning. :smiling_face_with_tear:

Nevertheless, I’m excited to see how your standard house garage re-converted into a military hideout will turn out! :partying_face:

1 Like

Hello guys, I´m back this week to show you the progress of my military garage.

This week I focused on the architecture of the building, so I did the floor, walls and rooftop of the garage and I started texturing it with the mesh paint. For now it´s looking simple but of course it will improve in the future.

First I want to start working on some assets to fill the scene and start taking a look on how it could look at the end.

As you can see I also added the garage door, but I need to think about the mechanism of the door to make it look better than just a garage door in that spot.

This next week I will add the steel beams of the roof and windows at the sides of the garage (I have it already done) and I will start with the car that it´s the hero asset of the scene.

I hope you liked it and stay tuned for more updates on my project every week !! :wink: :muscle:

1 Like

Hello again guys !!! This week I focused on the modeling of my hero asset for this scene; a 66´ Dodge Charger.

I´ve already done the first phase of the modeling that it´s having all the pieces for the car (but I´m now waiting for my teacher´s feedback to know if I need to add something more).

Of course it needs more work on it and obviously make the UV´s that it´s going to be the toughest part for sure.

Here I show you some references for the light that I want to be in my scene and the first lighting pass that I made; I´m still figuring out if I want the lights warm or cold…

That´s all for this week, I hope you liked it, and stay tuned for the next week !! :wink: :muscle:

2 Likes

Hello again !! New update to the project, this week I couldn´t work that much compared to other weeks because some difficulties with the geometry and uvs of the car, but still has some changes.

As you can see I started the texturing of the car, but it´s only the first pass. I´m testing this main cracked paint texture for the chasis but I still don´t know if I will use it lately.
Fot his week I´ll finish the texturing to make it look more like the first reference picture but it will have a lot of ruust like in the other references and probably some cracks.

And that´s all for this week, I know it´s not too much but I swear in the next weeks you´ll see several changes to the environment.

See you soon !! :wink: :muscle:

3 Likes

I see asset creation and texturing are going well! Each week, you’re inching closer to a stellar finished creation; keep up the great work! :grin:

1 Like

I’ts coming along beautifully! Can’t wait to see the final product :smiley:

1 Like

Hello evryone !! I´m back again with the week update for my Military Garage project !!
As I said the last week I wanted to focus this week on finishing the car texturing and start making the secondary props for the scene so I´m gonna show you the results…

First of all, here we have the final result for the car ! I´m pretty happy with the result but not completely, because I expended only 2 and a half weeks for this piece and I think it needs more work, but that means losing time for other parts of the environment so we have to stay here.

Also it needs a little upadate that I´ll try to solve next week, because the windows are supposed to be translucent but I had a problem with my opacity master material that makes all the car to be translucent so for now I´m not adding the opacity textures because it breaks the model.

Here are the textures of the car if you want to take a look more closely (not opacity textures because we are not using it right now).

Here it´s the first secondary props that I made for the scene… As you can see it´s a workbench set based in the one that you can find in “The Last of Us Part 2” (where you can improve your weapons and craft things).

(IMPORTANT) For the car I worked with only the HP model workflow to have the best visual results possible; for the other assets that I´ve already done and the others that I´ll do in the future I´ll use the LP to HP methodology looking for the optimization of the scene because here we make videogames :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And to finish this week update here we have the main bookmarks of the scene with the new assets already added.

I know it´s looking really poor right now but don´t worry it will improve a lot, I swear :pray:

Just to let you know, I will try to use the EasyMapper plugin for this scene to see if I can get really good visual results but still having good optmization; but this will be implemented in a month or maybe later so we´ll talk about it later.

That´s all for this week, I hope you liked it and thank you for all the feedback !! :pray: :muscle:

Hello everyone !! One more week, one more update for my “Military Garage” project.

This week I kept doing props for my scene, so I did 3 new props: a VSR-10 (sniper rifle), a weapon stand/rack and the shooting objectives in the shooting range inside the garage.

So here you can see the 3 new props completely finished, I´m happy with the results but I´m thinking to add a sniper scope for the rifle but as a separate prop because maybe I can try to model some attachments to fill some space in the scene…

Also I did some sequences to show in a video the full scene but I´m having problems with the unreal renderer… For any reason in the engine the sequences are fine but with the final render outside of the engine the textures of the walls and some surfaces are not loading and I´m still trying to figure it out what´s happening… I hope i can fix it for the next week to show you the sequences.

And as always here I show you the bookmarks with all the new props added to the scene.

This week I want to focus my work on doing more props like the gym bench in the center of the scene, the mechanic skate close to the car, some military boxes and I want to do also the door of the garage and the table in the shooting range. Let´s see if I can do it all.

I hoped you liked this new week update and thanks for the feedback !! :wink: :muscle:

Hello guys !! New update for my project.

This week I kept working on some props for the environment and I also added the secondary rpops that I´ve downloaded from MegaScans.

This is how it looks right now… I´m pretty happy with the actual look of the scene but the walls and floor textures are still looking really bad so I will focus this week on fix this.

And here the 5 assets that I did myself for the scene.

I´m having really big problems with the renderer in UE5… The last week I mentioned that the renderer didn´t render the textures of the walls and floors; this week the renderer makes Unreal to crash every single time I try to render my sequences. I optimized the textures of the scene because they had lot of resolution but it keeps crashing… My scene right now goes on 80/90 fps, so I think the optimization it´s correct but… If someone knows how to fix this or something that I could try it would be great to know.

Thank you for your attention one more week !! :wink: :muscle:

Hello guys !!! I´m back again to show you this week progress on my environment.

Soooo, as you can see I improved the texturing of the walls and the floor and I think it´s looking way better now. Adding different textures and some puddles on the floor now it´s looking better, but I have to add some decals still and probably more 3d assets to fill the empty space, but for now it´s ok I guess.

Also this week we had a game jam at the school so I couldn´t work much more on the project.

I also added a dust particle system and I fixed all the problems that I had with unreal the last week.

I have now some sequences to show, but I cannot upload it here because of the file size, I´m sorry :pensive:

And this is all for this week, I hope you liked the progress and any feedback will be welcome :wink: :muscle: