Gameplay Ability System (GAS) and Animation Notifications (Notifies)

Hi there,

I am working on a combat system inspired by the Soulsborne series. I am using GAS to handle things like rolling, attacking, jumping etc. In souls-like combat, animation allow cancelation/interruption, e.g. at the beginning and at the end of an attack other animations or movement can cancel them which allows for smother combat. GAS has an easy way for this using the GameplayTags. However, I don’t want to allow it during the whole ability. Which leads me to the following problem.

I would need a way to dynamically add and remove tags to/from “Cancel abilities with tag”. I found nothing on that matter. I assume I can add and remove Tags from “FGameplayTagContainer CancelAbilitiesWithTag” but I am not sure. Further, I would need to inform my ability when to add and remove the tags. This would be based on Notifies of the currently playing montage. But I can find nothing on how I would check for Notifies in an Gameplay Ability.

Any help appreciated, maybe I am thinking the wrong way of implementing this system?

EDIT: Forget the part with adding tags. I was completely wrong there. Firstly the cancelation tag has to be added to Ability Tags and secondly this method exists. Main point is how to integrate Notifies.

1 Like

Hello there :wave:

While I haven’t worked with anim notifies in the Gameplay Abilities myself, I found this regarding Anim Notifies used in Mortal Shell

Also here is an article about an Ability queue system

Is this what you were looking for?

Greetings,
Markus
Bagpack Games

A little tip for people who, like me, found this thread trying to use Anim Notifications with GAS. As Unreal devs wrote in their implementation of AbilityTask_PlayMontageAndWait, you probably want to modify it for your game-specific needs. That’s what I did to make it work with montage notifies in my game.

1 Like

For everyone that wants more info on this: Have a look at the Community GAS-Documentation here under Point 4.7 Ability Tasks.

The Example Project of the linked documentation also comes with an implementation of a custom ability task that

allows animation montages to send gameplay events from AnimNotifies back to the GameplayAbility

1 Like