Gameplay Ability System, Gameplay Cue Tags broken after engine restart?

Hello there,

I am using the Gameplay Ability System in our UE5 project and have run into a weird issue (maybe a bug?). :confused:

Every time I reopen the engine, one of my gameplay cue tags doesn’t fire any more.
If I delete it completely (from project settings) and recreate the tag without changing any logic it starts working again. :crazy_face:

Anyone else experiencing this issue? Or maybe a hint what could be the solution?

Further details:
The gameplay effect that applies the cue tag is part of a gameplay feature plugin. But so is the gameplay cue that is triggered by the tag (even the same feature).
The gameplay effect is applied only the cue tag doesn’t trigger.

Curious if someone else is experiencing this :grin:

Greetings,
Markus
Bagpack Games

1 Like

I get this issue too, a lot. It’s very furstrating! Have you found a fix to this?

Apparently I didn’t which is why I implemented a workaround in my gameplay abilities:
I actually called it “CueSoundFXworkaround” and it manually spawns/despawns sounds or FX depending on the ability state (Enum, which I need for driving animations anyways) I feed it.

Hope that helps to at least find a solution that makes your game logic work. :sweat_smile:

I have to admit that I didn’t test this in 5.1 (as this version has other issues bc of which we can’t use it as of now). :frowning:

Greetings,
Markus
Bagpack Games

blowing dust off thread :wind_face:

I actually found a solution (which took me some days to get my head around) in the Lyra sample project :partying_face: :point_down:

You need to register the Gameplay Cues that are not inside your main content (typically Content/GameplayCues), e.g. in a Game Feature Plugin (/YourGameFeaturePluginName/GameplayCues), to the Gameplay Tag Manager so he knows about them!
Apparently when you initially add/readd them, somehow they get registered too, which is why it seems they are working, which in reality they are not… :neutral_face:

Some more elaboration:
Have a look at the custom GameFeature actions (especially GameFeatureAction_AddGameplayCuePath) as well as the custom LyraGameFeaturePolicy and the LyraGameplayCueManager of the Lyra sample project.
All of them have different functionality which I adapted to our game for handling gameplay cue tags in Game Features. (Bonus: You get a nice message when you add a cue tag that resides inside a non registered directory, hence reminding you to add the game feature action to your plugin :wink:)

I hope this helps someone else, and if any questions arise: I am happy to help! :grin:

Greetings,
Markus
Bagpack Games

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.