Gamepad support for an inventory screen in UMG

Hi all!

I’ve been following a tutorial series on developing a simple inventory system with blueprints by Ryan Laley (which can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsS5i15vvUbwfr_1JdRKCAA)

It’s a great series! But it’s absolutely paramount that my project support play with a gamepad, and I’m having trouble making that work.

Setting up gamepad support for most UI isn’t a problem, and I think it’s because in most cases you just need to Set Keyboard Focus for your widgets. However, this particular inventory UMG relies on creating a grid of inventory slots at runtime. I think this is the source of my troubles – since the widget establishes all Focusable slots at runtime, I can’t access them beforehand and set up Keyboard Focus.

I could be wrong, of course. I’m pretty inexperienced in this area.

Any help is appreciated! If you’ve had success adding gamepad/keyboard support to a system like this or if you have some tips, I’d love to know.

Also, in case anybody recommends Rama’s Gamepad plugin: I’m not really looking to replace mouse movement with joystick movement. I want the more traditional, snap-based movement that occurs when you add gamepad support for your average UMG. And in any case, I can’t seem to add Rama’s plugin to my project, so it’s all moot.

Thank you for your time!