Gamepad doesn't work in play mode but works in editor

I use DS4windows to test with a ps4 controller via usb in editor. I also recently uninstalled and reinstalled UE4 on a different drive on the same machine for the memory. My setup worked just fine before that, but now my ps4 remote doesn’t work during play mode unless I restart my computer and leave it plugged in. Then if I unplug it and plug it back in, it doesn’t work anymore. Except the touchpad, which it only recognizes as mouse movement. Also, despite all this, it always lets me navigate in editor (like using wasd to explore in freecam) and my machine recognizes the remote as an xbox remote, so it isn’t the DS4windows software. I haven’t changed anything in the project, so I don’t know why it isn’t working.
How to I make it so I don’t have to restart my machine whenever I want to test with a gamepad?

Exact same issue here, no idea how to fix this. Tried rebooting, reinstalling DS4 and reinstalling UE (got this on 4.27)

Try to click somewhere in the game viewport when in the Play mode. It will set the input focus the the game viewport and the controller should start working…

same issue, did you fix it?