Download

[GAME] Tross - Dev Blog

1/8/16 Update

4b3788ca7849102db2e3bf30fd60e5c48f3e3f5a.jpeg

After a little under 10 days, Tross has been Greenlit!

I wanted to say thank you to everyone who voted and supported Tross with your feedback. This is a very exciting time and I look forward to what’s to come!

I will continue to update this thread with major milestones.

Thank you everyone and thank you Epic for allowing me to start my way into having a career in which I am passionate!

12/29/15 Update
GreenlightLogoUEForums.jpg

Tross has now been submitted for voting on Steam Greenlight! Thank you all for your kind and constructive words. Feel free to head over to the Tross Greenlight Page to cast your vote! (a Yes! vote would be greatly appreciated!

12/20/2015 UPDATE

Good morning fellow developers! Unfortunately I have not been able to work as much on Tross as I had envisioned due to the looming birth of my fist child. Now that I am approaching 2 months post-birth I am starting to develop a routine, along with my wife of course, and have returned to developing Tross!

I have recently made some pretty big improvements to the back-end systems. I stripped away the old “clear time” system and replaced it with a countdown timer. The countdown timer will cause players to race against the looming clock. If time runs out, the quarantine barriers will collapse releasing the Tross upon the world. I have also completed Sector’s 2 and 3 but am reducing the total amount of levels to ~20 (down from the ~50 I had originally planned).

Due to my full time job and newborn development is slow. But it is not a snails race! The back-end improvements I complete recently will significantly reduce development time going forward.

I am more excited than ever and can’t wait to see the progress I can bring to the next Tross Dev update!

Latest Alpha Gameplay

Latest Update: 12/20/15

Completed:
-Save System
-Sector timer
-“Building” models
-Ship model
-Flying control
-Energy system
-Blaster attack
-Sector Start, Win, Death, and Boss kill triggers
-Sector 1, 2, and 3

In Progress:
-Sectors 4-6 are in blockout
-Additional Sector music
-UI/HUD optimizations
-Boss attacks

Remaining Features:
-All 25-30 Sectors
-Second “missile” like attack
-Smooth out twitch flying controls
-Evade system

Original Post

Introduction:
Hello to all of the fine Unreal Engine folk out there. My name is James and I have been a lurker in these forums for a few months now and am pleased to begin a dev blog here for my first game project, Tross.

As stated, Tross is my first entry in what I plan on being a long and fruitful career in game development. I am working on Tross by myself and due to me not being knowledgeable any of what I deem to be “core game development skills” (programming and art) everything within the game, minus audio and textures, is created within the Unreal Engine. It is my hope, a hope I am sure everyone else has, that this project will act as a launch point into turning a hobby with limited time (full time job, wife, and soon to be first born baby) into my new full time career.

So without further ado, I bring you an early (very early) look into the world of Tross.

Plot:
The player is unexpectedly selected, and unknowingly forced, into taking part of the Tross program. As the player “elects” to run the Tross program, which appears as a new type of security software, they are transported into a digital world that is infected with the components of the next crippling global cyber-attack. The player travels from Sector to Sector, eliminating the quarantined threat, with the ultimate goal of heroically saving the world from technological eradication.

Gameplay:
-Ship flying from the 3rd person perspective
-Eliminate the “Boss” in each quarantined Sector as quickly as possible
-Bosses are prevented from moving due to the quarantine but will employ other ways of making their elimination difficult
-Colliding with anything in the digital world will cause “Corruption” and end the player
-Attacks are used based on a limited, but regenerating, energy pool that will render the ship nearly uncontrollable if depleted

Tross Status:
Note: Most of the assets and systems within Tross are made with a modular mindset to increase further level production.

Update: 8/20/15

Completed:
-Save System
-Sector timer
-Clear time record keeping
-“Building” models
-Ship model
-Flying control
-Energy system
-Blaster attack
-Sector Start, Win, Death, and Boss kill triggers
-Sector 1

In Progress:
-Sectors 2-6 are in blockout
-Additional Sector music
-UI/HUD (current priority)
-Remaining Boss textures

Remaining Features:
-All 25-30 Sectors
-Second “missile” like attack
-Boss attacks
-Smooth out twitch flying controls

Now to my favorite part, screenshots and videos!

Media:

• Videos:*

The video below is a brief look into Sector 1 of Tross. Please keep in mind Tross is still in development and the features in the video may change before release.

Disclaimer: For some reason I am losing video quality when I upload to YouTube. Not sure where the breakdown is but I am looking into it.

•    Screenshots:*

Album with full sized shots:

Game Coverage:
I have not started any form of marketing campaign due to the early stage of development and I am not quite ready to submit to Greenlight just yet, not until I finish more of the UI and clean up the temp HUD, though I have just set up an Indie DB page to act as a small Geiger counter for Tross buzz. Feel free to spread the word if you like what you see.

http://button.indiedb.com/popularity/medium/games/44012.png

Wrap Up:
For those who have read this long post in its entirety, or those who skipped to the bottom, I just want to thank you. Thank you for being such an active, helpful, and overall brilliant community. I am so grateful to the Unreal Engine community and to Epic for allowing someone like me, with no core game development skills, the opportunity to bring my ideas to life and create my own career path so that I may wake up every single day with a smile on my face, ready to work.

TLDR:
My name is James and I am solo developing a 3rd person flying action game called Tross.

Added an update to the original post!

Looks great I especially love the tron like environment and flashy music. Gameplay also seems to be fun altough probably needs a better indicator on what the player is supposed to attack

Looks great ! It looks like fun to play but as Kuhmaus already said needs a better indicator what to attack. Maybe separate by colors targets from other elements and then don’t use that color for anything else. Well done!

Wee colorful <- me like

Thank you all for the wonderful remarks. After watching the video again I do see where you are coming from regarding the hitbox. I originally was going for the classic hitbox color scheme in older arcade games but do agree that with the overall art direction I need to make it pop a bit more.

12/29/15 Update has been posted! Tross is now available for voting on Steam Greenlight!

Head on over to the Tross page to cast your vote!

A Yes! vote would be greatly appreciated ;).

Added an additional update to the main post.

Tross has been Greenlit! Thank you to everyone who supported Tross and thank you to Epic for the wonderful Unreal Engine.