Game textures

got probably a stupid question, got a subscription to try out on gametextures which includes a nice asst. of files plus several variations (sorry just don’t have the time to do all these from scratch) the included files with most of them are as follows.
_d = Diffuse map
_s = Specular map
_g = Gloss map
_n = Normal Map
_nY+ = Normal Map with y+ (for all of you 3ds hooligans who are shenanigizing about getting your mad frolic on)
_t = Transparency Map
_h = Height Map
_e = Emissive Map
_p = Only on Decal images, this is the preview image of what the decal looks like on a transparent background.
i know my way around several no issue, diffues, normal, decal, however not real sure what to do with the height map, gloss, or specular (yes i know theres a slot for it, but read mixed feelings on using it). any clarification would be appreciated, also any thoughts on which size file to use ? 256, 512, 1024 hope i remember those right, lol.

Specular Map -> which areas should be shiny
Height Map -> for parallex shading https://docs.unrealengine/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/Materials/ExpressionReference/Utility/index.html#bumpoffset
Gloss Map -> in UDK it was used for specular power

I would use 1024x1024, because in my opinion it’s a pretty good size for nearly every mesh

You’ll need to use your specular map as a mask to Lerp between different roughness values instead of plugging it directly into Roughness.

thanks guys, now with substances supported i have to go back and rethink everything again, lol. love the painter app they have, just have to figure out how to integrate it.

On sizes: It depends on how close you get to a mesh and how bit it is in relation to the scene, there is no general “right” size. I would recommend, though, to keep your textures sized to a power of to (e.g. 2048x2048, 2048x1024, 1024x512, etc). If you dont to that you will get no streaming and potential mipmap problems.

Cheers,
Michael