Game Instance and Game State difference

If there are 4 servers for example playing their own individual game and if I have my chat updating in gamestate, does that mean that all 4 games on their individual server will all update with the same chat ?

Or am I thinking too much into it.

If it wont update on everyone’s servers then why do we have game instance ?

Hi

Games Instance:

One of the new UE4 engine features as of 4.4 is the Game Instance class!

This is a globally accessible instanced UObject that can store any data you want to be carried between levels!

Where formally you would have had to write out data to a config file or to binary file, to transfer between levels, now you can use the Game Instance class!

API documentation: [UGameInstance

Game State:

The GameState is responsible for monitoring the state of the game on the client.

Conceptually, think of the GameState as the state of the game. It can keep track of properties like score, list of connected players, number of caps in a CTF game, where the pieces are in a chess game, what missions you have completed in an open world game, etc. In general, the GameState should track properties that change during gameplay. The GameState exists on the server and all clients and can replicate freely to keep all machines up to date.

UGameInstance | Unreal Engine Documentation