Game Development Rig

Hey guys. I have been working in the professional sound industry for quite some time and I am now bridging the gap into Game Development. I have gotten quite familiar with UE4 and decided to make that my engine of choice. That being said I want to build a windows computer that will handle UE4.16 and possible future updates. As a Mac user in not entirely familiar with the newest windows builds, so I was wondering if I could get help from the community on what specs I should pay particular attention to, and possibly get some help picking the components for my computer build so it best suits the needs of UE4. Thank you in advance for your help.

Chris

-Win 10
-Intel i7 - cuz processing is important
-For game development, a decent mid range - high range cards will do the trick, but you don’t have to get expensive cards
-1080p monitor

What’s the budget? Unreal is usable on mid range pcs, but of course it gets more fun if you have a GTX 1080 Ti and triple 1440p monitors :smiley:

• Windows 10 Pro (avoid the Home version and then use free utilities like DoNotSpy10 to disable all the Microsoft spyware)
  • If you can wait get an Intel Core i9 8-core CPU with upcoming X299 motherboard (good BIOS updates support usually is on the ASUS ones)
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM Quad-Channel (I prefer Corsair)
  • 1080p , 2K o 4K monitor no less than 26" size (if you can afford it go for 32" or bigger)
  • Then 480GB+ SSD for boot and 2TB+ HDU as the bare minimum (if you can afford it the best would be an hardware RAID-5 and RAID-6 controller like the SAS Adaptec ones with multiple SSD and/or HDUs)
  • Seasonic or Antec (Delta Electronics) PSU 80+ Gold or 80+ Platinum 700Watt+
  • A good UPS unit like the APC ones to protect the hardware and get a 15minutes+ battery backup

if you can afford it and like your mac environment, you can look into the new imacs that will handle unreal easily.
if you dont think you have to waste money to get results, there are tons of options from best value, to good value to okay value.

comes down to your budget.

My budget is pretty liberal. Thinking2000 to 2500.

You can’t go wrong with a 4K monitor. Something that supports VR would be ideal as well.