Game build failed and I have no idea why

Hello! As a Unity developer, I would like to take it to the next level and try UE again, but now version 5 (5.4.1). In general, I have a clean project, into which I added a metahuman and replaced the standard model with it. Besides this, I added a little code, but nothing serious. For some reason, when I try to build this project, I get a strange error. On the Internet, this error is associated with VStudio, but all these solutions did not help. In addition, this error does not appear in other projects, so I do not think that the problem is in my VS. I didn’t find anything useful in the logs, maybe someone has more experience in this matter?

LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'delayimp.lib'

Hi 3dRaven,

I tried to follow this tutorial before. This method seems outdated. There is no such item as VC++ Dyrectorys in the specified parameters. The solution was written in 2014, so I think that the engine has changed during this time. The problem remains open.

A linker error is a project error not an engine error. It just can’t find the lib because you have not specified the directory to where it is. The linker needs this information to add and link in the library during compile time.

As for the exact whereabouts of the delayimp.lib file it depends on where you have it (you seem to be referencing it somewhere in the project so I’m guessing you have the file on your drive somewhere).

Thank you for your detailed answer. Unfortunately, the problem remains. I specified this parameter, double-checked PATH in the system, tried several versions of MSCV, but the problem did not go away. The file is located in the path specified in the system variables, but for some reason the build still thinks that it cannot be opened

UPDATE: The only solution to the problem for me was to switch back to version 5.3 and again redo the entire project from scratch. I don’t know what this is connected with, but I’ll sit on it for now. If anyone has a similar problem, consider this option. I saw other people with a similar problem on the new version. I’ll mark the 3dRaven theory as a solution because I’m sure it works for most people. But if you’re like me, try the older versions.

Also try this in your target file if it’s an upgrade from 5.3

// Copyright Epic Games, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

using UnrealBuildTool;
using System.Collections.Generic;

public class YourGameNameTarget : TargetRules
{
	public YourGameNameTarget(TargetInfo Target) : base(Target)
	{
		Type = TargetType.Game;
		DefaultBuildSettings = BuildSettingsVersion.V5;
		IncludeOrderVersion = EngineIncludeOrderVersion.Unreal5_4;
		ExtraModuleNames.Add("YourGameName");
	}
}

I also got the linker error on a fresh project. Visual studio wanted me to install an extra MSVC package (an extra message above solution explorer). After installing the MSVC I can now compile projects in 5.4.

The version was 14.38-17.8. of the build tools

New projects now startup no problems, no errors. Doesn’t even need the $(LibraryPath) include dir!

For those who can’t find an answer, “C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio2022CommunityVCToolsMSVC<sürüm>libx64”
Check if there is delayimp.lib in this folder, my mistake was that there were 3 different versions, I deleted the other files except for the one with the delayimp.lib folder in it, it was successful

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.