Galaxy Creation

Hi.

I am trying to create a galaxy map and I would like input on how I’m thinking of doing it. And, if someone has a better idea, please post… Here goes:

1. Create a grid of a fixed size for the world map that would be used to spawn suns. Like a giant chess board. Might stack Z though for more 3d galaxy. Each grid section would be a “sector”. (for lack of a better word!) *
  2. Inside each sector generate several random locations and store in an array.
  3. When spawning a sun for each sector, randomly pick a location from the array in #2. (use a structure for the information about the sun (size, color, etc.))
  4. Store location of spawned sun in another array for planet placement within each sector

Some of the above I do not know how to do, so before I go and spend a bunch of time learning I would like to know if my idea is even decent, or down right stupid… All thoughts are welcome!

teak

PS: * no idea on how to actually do. <grins>
PPS: I will only have a max of 100 solar systems. Each sector will only have one sun.

You still working on this? I got a similar problem

Not anymore… The scope of the project is a single solar system. Much easier!

teak

I think if you want to create a galaxy traveling game you should probably base things off star trek / star wars writing of their galaxy formations.

In reality, outer galaxy travel - though apparently possible (fun fact, voyager is out of the solar system) - is a lengthy ordeal into nothingness.
4.25 light years approximately to Proxima Centauri, the closest star to earth; During this travel time you’d see little to nothing, even at light speed - making for a very boring game.

That’s why warp speed and hyperspace are represented with smeared star trails (highly unrealistic) and are near instantaneous.

A game which does galaxy travel somewhat decently is mass effect.
mini map/mini game, pick a spot and land.

All that aside in 2020 it is almost possible to travel from earth to Mars in engine without much manipulation. Mostly thanks to the new sun atmosphere implementation.

When generating a list of planets, locations, sectors, etc. I would suggest doing some research into what is physically possible like binary systems and other black hole like anomalies and including those as a possible variation to the procedural composition.
splitting an X Y and Z area into blocks is a good idea, but also keep in mind that galaxies are mostly flat. So Z becomes an extra facet that’s not exactly needed…