Gaea to UE5 landscape resolution problem

Hello! I’m working on a project in Unreal Engine 5 that requires an Open World Map.

I want the map to be 150km x 150km or 22500km2, I also use Gaea, but whenever I transfer the map from Gaea to UE 5 with 2.017 resolution and apply landscape material the texture is very low resolution. Also the sculpting is not very smooth. I would like to ask you what is the best way to approach this situation?

1 Like

A 2017x2017 heightmap at the default Landscape Scale XY of 100 (1 meter) is a 2km x 2km map. Not 150km.
To scale it to be 150km means that the Landscape would have to be set to a Scale XY of 7500 (75 meters).
At that Landscape scale it is going to look horrific.
To get a proper 150km x 150km Landscape you would require a heightmap that was 153,001 x 153,001, which is not supported by Unreal World Partition.
The largest possible World Partition heightmap size that can be imported into UE5.1/5.2 is 16321x16321.
At a Landscape Scale XY of 100, that is a 16km x 16km map.
Any heightmap size larger than that will cause a Max2DTexture error and fail, if the Edit Layers is enabled (default).
32k x 32k is the largest possible with Edit Layers disabled.
The only easy way to get a 150km x 150km map is to use World Composition, using a 19x19 tile set of 8129x8129 tiles, for a heightmap size of 154433 x 154433.

Ok thanks for the answer! Also I was wondering if I could make several Landscapes and each one with its own Heighmap and then combine them. What do you think?

Unreal does not support combining individual Landscape actors.
If you place two Landscape actors next to each other, you usually see a visual seam between them on their edges.
And you cannot do things like paint or sculpt across multiple actors.

If you are using World Partition, you can use the Brush Tile Import method to get a larger than 16km terrain, however, it takes many hours to do all of the tile importing and pasting.
I have a video on my YouTube channel showing how to accomplish that, in the World Partition Series.
I know of people who have created Landscapes up to 90km x 90km or more using that method.

Regardless of whether you go with World Composition or World Partition Tile Pasting, you would still have to create a massive ~150,000 x ~150,000 heightmap in Gaea and tile it out to multiple PNG files for import.
You require that heightmap size if you want a 150km map with 1 meter vertex spacing (default).

I will most likely switch from World Partition to World Composition. I also noticed that the maximum size in Gaea is 100,000m = 100km → 100x100km, which complicates my work even more. Anyway, thanks for the information you provided! :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.