Fun VR musical instrument project using 4.26 and native OSC output

Hi all,

Thought it would be fun to share this UE 4 Virtual Reality musical instrument demo performance we gave at SIGGRAPH’s Real-Time Live show this year:

Coretet is built in Unreal and currently uses a Pure Data audio engine (external) connected to UE via the native Open Sound Control classes.

I’m optimizing the project to run untethered on Quest 2 (so Android), and working on encapsulating the STK physical string models as an Unreal audio plugin.

Enjoy,

Rob

1 Like

Hey, Rob,

Congrats for the research! VR instruments are a fascinating trend…

I’m a digital music instrument designer also, and I’ll start porting now a DMI of mine (in Pure Data also) to run standalone in Quest 2 - also…

Did you progress on making your instrument standalone in Quest 2?

After a little research, I see that you once integrated Pd with Unreal for a VR project via a somewhat complicated setup, compiling UE4 with WWise as a plugin, 5 years ago… so today UE is in version 5, the Heavy compiler is discontinued… So, is this the way to go nowadays?

Cheers,

Hey Anonymous user,

Just saw this. In May I ported the Coretet instrument project to UE 5.1 running on Quest 2 natively (untethered and compiled for Android). The audio engine at this point is still running in Pure Data on an external Mac. There’s some exciting work being done on the ChucK programming engine at Stanford right now which should be releasing a working “Chunreal” project (similar to the great “Chunity” project) sometime in the nearish future, allowing easy computer-music world audio programing directly in Unreal.

I haven’t returned to the WWise + Heavy workflow, though it technically works. The Heavy compiler was discontinued commercially but you can still download the open-source project and compile it on your own… looks like it hasn’t been updated in quite some time so ymmv: GitHub - enzienaudio/hvcc: The heavy hvcc compiler for Pure Data patches.

best,

rob