Stimulant is a digital agency in San Francisco that builds large-scale immersive environments at tourist attractions, corporate spaces, events, and museums. We are not a game studio, but we use lots of similar tech, like Unity, Unreal, and WebGL. We’re looking for a senior-level engineer to help bring our next batch of projects to life.
Stimulant is regularly asked to create never-before-seen experiences with never-before-seen hardware, and we’re seeking a talented and open-minded developer to join us on this journey. We’re looking for someone with a desire to continually push the envelope and inspire our team by bringing a spirit of exploration and a fresh bag of tricks to the table, while still delivering bulletproof, thoughtfully-architected code. You’ll join an equally talented team that will challenge you in new and exciting ways, in an environment that’s filled with healthy communication, transparency, and support.
Following is a list of the sort of problems we’re often tasked with solving. We hope you’ve tackled some of these before, and have a passion to dive into the waters that are new to you:
- Large-format, multi-screen, high-frame-rate user interfaces
- Non-standard input methods, including touch, gesture, voice, and beyond
- 3D and 2D rendering of complex scenes and content
- 3D-sensing and computer vision
- Projection mapping
- Procedural graphics
- Distributed real-time rendering
- Particle systems
- Physics simulations
- GPU programming and shaders
- Arduino/hardware hacking
- Any number of things we’re not even aware of yet…
The technologies we use to achieve these experiences can vary as we pick the right tool for the job, our favorites these days include:
- Touch Designer
Growth and learning are a core part of our ethos, and to that end we encourage and fund ongoing training and personal development, frequent outside collaboration and knowledge-sharing, open-sourcing of code, and more. On each project, you’ll work side-by-side with an inspiring and technically-minded creative team and well-organized project managers, and your opinion is valued at every step of the project. Our promise is to bring you engaging problems and great clients, and yours is to be a strong voice in which projects we take on and how we approach each solution.
While we’re always excited to fit a new personality into our equation, we’re looking for someone who has the following attributes as a baseline:
- A core desire to use code to create transformative moments
- An exacting attention to detail
- The ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects (prior agency and/or freelance experience a plus)
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Tons of personal initiative and a desire for deep collaboration
- Familiarity with various project/team collaboration tools
- A portfolio of past projects and samples of code that you’re especially proud of
- Professional references that you’d be comfortable having us chat with
Given the dependencies on physical hardware, this position will require a regular physical presence in our San Francisco office, as well as occasional travel for project deployments. This position is not eligible for employer visa sponsorship.
Please send your résumé and portfolio to email@example.com. No calls, please.