Full instructions for exporting cropped undistorted images and cameras to work in blender

As the title says, please can I have full instructions for exporting cropped undistorted images and cameras to work in blender. I have tested alot…

Hi Henry, this tutorial can be helpful for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq0XjvBlsiU&t=396s

As you can see there as black bars in the images in this tutorial;

Imgur

Please can you advise how to export the images as cropped undistorted with no black bars, and have these work with cameras in blender

Thanks
Henry

I think if there won’t be the black lines, then it won’t be matched in Blender, as the image will be moved to its original position. Or probably you can change the resolution of the image to a smaller one, but I think there could be also problems in Blender then.

Can you initially help me export the cropped undistorted images please?

from this diagram I thought it should be the inner region option, but this doesnt work

It depends what type of distortion you have, but if you will use No for Undistort principal point then you will get the image without black lines. But this won’t work in Blender as in tutorial.
I don’t think there is the option you want.

1 Like

To me it clearly is a RC bug that these black strips are present with Fit: Inner Region parameter during undistortion.

If you want to remove these black strips, you can do so with the below kapture utility - based on a kapture project. (with the kapture library, a bit verbose, but seem to do the job). Please follow the full workflow for first converting bundle to kapture, then kapture to colmap.

Hi, I would like to resurrect and escalate this issue as a bug that needs fixing.

Agisoft Metashape has provided a way to export images as cropped without black bars for use with gaussian splatting, surely Reality Capture can too?

2 Likes

The bug is filled and we are working on the solution. Sorry for the inconveniences.

1 Like

Hi thankyou for the update, I will follow closely for the fix

1 Like

Hello @HenryPearce4D and @jochemla,

Could you please email us to support@capturingreality.com? The issue with the undistorted images is in progress but we would like to validate the fix when it’s ready. Please just mention it is about the cropped undistorted images and the team will assign me the case. Thank you!

Jakub

1 Like

Hey Jakub, I’ve also sent some details to this address with my findings on working with undistorted images, OpenCV, implementation differences and feature requests. I hope it will be helpful! The e-mail topic is Regarding cropped undistorted images.

1 Like

Hi @s1ddok , thank you very much for reaching out. We’ll continue our conversation there.

1 Like