O.k. can someone please tell me how to import a character model that is already rigged from maya to ue4? I can’t find a video that is clear for me so if anyone can please help
Normally you just have to export your mesh ( with the right scale 1cm=1uu → in the export settings you also have to choose cm) - then import it. But it depends on the state of your character (uv mapped, which kind of rig,…)
Do you know of a video? I am compltely lost on this and really wan tot get my character into my world
This video playlist might help, since you can find all the necessary informations to rig your character using ART plugin and export to UE4
And after that take a look at this series: 3rd Person Game with Blueprints (pre. v4.8) - YouTube It will teach you everything about characters + animations in the UE4
Here’s the shorthand version of the links provided below:
- You need to download and install the 2014 FBX exporter plugin for Maya if you have not already. It’s free, just google it.
- Your character should be already skinned and skin weights painted.
- You can have 1 animation with your initial export. Subsequent animations need to be exported individually as separate fbx files.
- So, if you have the character in the bind pose and say, an idle animation you can export both of these at the same time. To do this…
- Select all joints (but not IK handlers) and the character’s (skinned mesh)
- Go to file/export selection
- Choose “FBX” from the drop down
- In the FBX options, choose to “Include smoothing groups” and include “animation” -select check boxes for these
- They will be exported as 1 FBX file.
- In UE4, select import or simply drag the FBX file into the content browser.
- A pop-up window will prompt you to 1) Import skeletal mesh -check this box 2) Choose skeleton -choose none for a custom character -it will import your rig 3) Include animation -will include 1 animation. 4) Create Physics asset (Optional)
For detailed instructions (sorry no videos for this yet) here are the documentaton links:
FBX skeletal mesh pipeline:
FBX animation import pipeline:https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Content/FBX/Animations/index.html
Thank you very much