FROLF Disc Golf - Online Simulator

Hey everyone!

I’ve gone outside of my normal realm of work (fantasy RPGs) to work on a project that is near and dear to me outside of video games… I present FROLF Disc Golf! I’ve been playing disc golf recreationally for many years now and I’ve seen the sport constantly and quickly grow into a hugely popular outdoor activity for all skill levels to enjoy. I decided that it would be an amazing experience to play disc golf online with friends, especially those who can’t physically meet up to play together.

FROLF Disc Golf is a disc golf simulator designed to give an authentic playing experience similar to being on the course! Play through countless courses, find lost discs or buy new ones, and compete in tournaments to learn new throws and styles!

The world of FROLF Disc Golf is very detailed and realistic, from the stunning graphics and gameplay to the accuracy of biomes and course topography. Each course has its own identity with true to life audio perfectly matching that of the natural outdoor setting. Listen to relaxing sounds of birdcalls, streams, or even distant lawn mowers!

Support the Kickstarter to receive a copy of the game along with a variety of other rewards!

Realistic Flight

FROLF Disc Golf is designed to mimic the physics of actual disc golf. Each disc interacts with the environment differently resulting in unique flight paths and ground play based off of how it’s thrown. The flight camera lags behind the disc for each throw adding a whole new dimension to the sport of disc golf!

Shape shots around trees and other obstacles or go up and over. Choose from your owned discs in between shots to give yourself adequate flight paths for safe lines or risky bids at birdies! Discs can be thrown with ‘hyzer’, a type of throw where the edge of the disc is released downwards, or ‘anhyzer’, which is the opposite. By doing so every flightpath has the ability to be inverted or ‘flexed’. Manipulate discs to fly in ways you feel are the most advantageous!

Learn New Techniques!

There are multiple ways to throw a disc in the game, each giving different possibilities when navigating around, over, or even under obstacles.

• BACKHAND
  • FOREHAND
  • ROLLER
  • THUMBERS
  • TOMAHAWKS

As you level up new techniques will be available to unlock and upgrade! Increased maneuverability such as running up for throws also improves as your character’s throws are upgraded.

Buy New Discs!

Visit the Disc Store in game to purchase discs that work best for your style or give the most rewarding gameplay! Browse through numerous discs that come in multiple variations with specific flight paths. Buy which discs appeal to you using FROLF Bucks earned from playing courses, leveling up, and interacting with the world.

There are four categories of discs for sale in FROLF Disc Golf. Each category is determined by general speed and form of approach, but any disc can be manipulated or forced into many different uses.

• PUTTERS
  • MIDRANGE
  • FAIRWAY DRIVER
  • DISTANCE DRIVER

Embrace the luxury of an invisible and weightless disc golf bag with an unlimited disc capacity. When acquiring new discs they will be added to your inventory and made available for your next throw. As you level up a larger variety of discs will become available for purchase. However, there are other ways of acquiring more discs!

Find Lost Discs!

People lose discs all the time. The decent thing to do is returning them to their owner. In FROLF Disc Golf you can make the choice of keeping lost discs guilt free as their previous owners won’t be missing them like in real life! Keep them for use or drop them off to the disc store for FROLF Bucks or XP boosts!

Lost discs can occasionally be found off-the-beaten path under thick brush or stuck in a tree. Finding discs out on the course is a good way to expand your inventory while trying out more advanced discs. Certain hazards such as water or steep cliffs can make a disc be temporarily lost until returning to the Disc Store lost and found.

Adventure New Courses!

There’s nothing quite like the first round of a new course. The elated feeling of exploration towards grand yet treacherous challenges can be had over and over as FROLF Disc Golf will be constantly expanding the course list! Both real and imaginary courses will be added to the game consistently.

Play the same popular courses professional disc golfers compete at like Maple Hill or Disc Side of Heaven! From urban city parks to lush and reclusive forests there is a wide diversity of courses. The flora and fauna of each disc golf course match their respective region giving the opportunity to explore new landscapes!

There is a mixture of challenging courses and more relaxing ones, but all have beautiful views and dynamic natural excitement typical of being outside. Powered by Unreal Engine 5, each course comes to life in detail beyond belief! No two holes are the same across all courses in FROLF Disc Golf.

Backer-requested Custom Courses will be made available in the course selection through routine updates! Play the courses other backers of FROLF Disc Golf asked to be built. The Deluxe Edition gives immediate access to all newly released courses while select Custom Courses will be added to the Standard Edition over time.

Online Leaderboards

On launch FROLF Disc Golf will have an Online Leaderboard for each course. Tournaments will be played against the leaderboards to earn additional FROLF Bucks and XP! Eventually tournaments will become large multiplayer events yielding even greater rewards and playing out in real time.

Encounter Wildlife

Though there are urban courses in FROLF Disc Golf, most courses are located on the edge or in the heart of the wilderness. Don’t be surprised to come across a variety of wildlife such as deer, fox, or rabbits. The animals will keep distance or even run from both people and their thrown discs!

The true masters of flight often share the skies with your thrown disc. Be particularly-aware of birds in FROLF Disc Golf as they can occasionally act as obstacles! Rodents, critters, and even bugs call the course home as well. Be comforted that it’s for aesthetic purposes only - no bug spray necessary!

Dynamic Time & Weather

Each round is a new experience as the time of day and weather is always different. When revisiting previously played courses you may encounter rain instead of sunshine, or sunset instead of morning light. Wind can play an important role in disc golf. Strong gusts will actually impact the flight path and performance of certain discs.

Play disc golf year round without worry or discomfort from the weather! Experience diverse biomes with dynamic and immersive climates from all around the world. Be it snowcapped mountains or an arid desert courses are ready to have discs take flight!

Roadmap

Course Creation

The vast majority of the physical world is already developed. There are 12 disc golf courses planned for Beta Release. These courses will continue to develop and update up to and after launch. Each course is hand designed for accuracy and realism.

Physics & Performance

Though FROLF Disc Golf already performs very well given the high detailed environments and real-time physics simulations, the goal is to nearly perfect both the flight and impact physics of a disc as well as the performance of the game across all platforms. There is an extraordinary amount of work being put into matching the highly variable and complex flight of a disc in real life.

Polishing

There are some components of the game that need further polishing to match the level of realism set by the environment. Baskets will be upgraded to look like the more prevalent real life baskets, animations will be fine tuned to match the movements of throwing a disc in real life, and menus are being given a face lift moving into beta!

Beta Release

Support the Kickstarter to receive a copy of the game along with a variety of other rewards!

All backers who select a package will gain access to the beta version of FROLF Disc Golf. The game is being developed for November 2023 on the following platforms:

Visit frolfdiscgolf.com for more information!

1 Like

Hi there @Mumbley1,

Hope you’re well and having a great week so far! :slight_smile:

I don’t typically look for golfing sims to be beautiful, but this project has definitely hit that specification. The wild life, foliage filled forest, and weather systems have resulted in a game beyond just golfing. It’s resulted in something truly stunning and distinctive. Wonderfully done!

Thanks for sharing :smiley:

1 Like

I appreciate it @PresumptivePanda ! Despite working on all aspects of the game (blueprints, UMG, animations, etc.) level design is and will always be my favorite!

More detailed and reactive environment sharing to come! Stay tuned!

1 Like

Hey there @Mumbley1 ! Welcome to the Unreal forums! We’re happy to have you and see your creations!

I agree with Panda to a degree in regards to the pretty aspect of a golf style game. I for one never knew disc golf existed but I’m glad to know that now. The sport itself seems so fascinating and with it being a recreational passion it’s nice to see the love you have for such a passion.

The nature, physics, and overall gameplay seems intriguing and I have already tossed it in my list of games to watch out for on release!

Out of curiosity, would there be potential community map creation capabilities in the future by chance? I know with most golf style games they tend to lean that way and I was curious if the same could be said for disc golf.

It definitely shows in how beautiful the environment is. I’m stoked to see what you add to it :slight_smile:

Hi @Mumbley1 … can we chat about building a course in Darwin, Australia? Best regards, Matt

Hi @Mumbley1 are you out there? I’d really like to progress this. cheers, Matt