Freeze transformations of mesh component in Character BP?

Is there a way to freeze/zero out the transformation on components? There is a yellow reset arrow, but it rotates my mesh back to how it was when I imported it.

I’m developing a third person camera system and currently the “back of the player” is offset by -90 degrees because it wasn’t aligned with “forward” of the capsule collider. For the sake of clean blueprints I’d like it if I could avoid having to adjust for the -90 degrees every time I try to move the camera behind the mesh. I could rotate the mesh in maya before exporting, but that is a strange addition to my workflow.

It also seems that the 3rd Person Template has the same -90 degree rotation. I made my rig with the Animation Rigging Toolkit provided with UE4 so there might be some inconsistency between what the toolkit considers as being “forward” and what Character Blueprints consider as “forward”.

Skeletal meshes are imported Y forward for some very odd reason in UE4 so that’s why it is like that.

I am curious of the need for the camera to be relative to the mesh itself. Most game cameras are relative to the pawn itself. There is no real way to freeze transforms other than maybe through putting the rotations on a parent instead but i think this may be wonky still.

Did you ever find out how to freeze transformations?

This is not entirely possible. You can add a Scene component as a parent to your component you want to freeze if you need to 0 out local values but in this circumstance it was not really necessary.

ah thanks. Yeah I’m after more of a Maya-style workflow, where freezing values is very handy, particularly for scale transforms, as then the location values are scaled (making it hard to read the values without reading the whole hierarchy).

No Freeze Transforms in UE4? wtf

Update! Freeze transform can be done in UE5 using modelling tools tab.

Select the static mesh in viewport, Go to modelling tools, bake the rotation and scale using ‘BakeRS’.

Select the same mesh, then use ‘Pivot’ tool under Transform tab in modelling tools. click on ‘world origin’ to send the pivot to origin.
That’s it. Now the mesh is in the same exact place while zeroing out the transform and rotation values and a scale value of 1.

2 Likes

You can go into the imported asset mesh and choose the imported scale and rotation to offset it so rotations are zero (if needed) and scale is 1.

Once you set import setting choose re-import asset (or its base mesh not at pc now).

You can do this at any time

Yet, you can’t do it with the position.

If you reimport the static mesh you can also choose to change it’s import translation.

Not super practical but it’s there. OFC better to do this in you content creation software.

You could also do this in a crude way with a scene component as an offset, but that is an extra point of calculation.

There is no local offset parameter for the pivot though. Only globally for the static mesh.

Not for everything, there are no settings for alembic groom import for example. But it would be useful to have global way (doesn’t matter what you import, .fbx,alembic or other asset) to adjust it.

This method worked very nicely for me!

1 Like