[FREE] VR Content Examples

You should call ‘Set Focus to Game Viewport’ node on the BeginPlay of your pawn. Also, when running in the editor, check the Play advanced settings. There some options like Always on top, Game gets mouse control or Viewport gets HMD control.
I hope this helps :slight_smile:

Thaaaat definitely helps :smiley: although I think that the Always On Top option will end up being like the Should Minimize Editor on VRPIE I just keep forgetting about it :confused:

This has been great to work with the only thing I’m looking for now is climbing with physics, I would like to be able to throw my character up. so far even with a character movement added to the VR pawn when I let go of a handhold I just get sent to the ground immediately.

Hey nice to hear you found it useful. Yep a climb mechanic is on my to-do list, hopefully I’ll get time soon to work on it.

While greatly appreciated., all these ‘kits’ seem to have the same thing! Whether it’s the EPIC VR Content Examples, or the VR Expansion Plugin, or U.V.R.F., they all have the same things, Drawers, Levers, Valves. buttons, doors and sometimes weapons, but NEVER any kind of … usable scenario to reverse engineer, like a SINGLE Enemy NPC a SINGLE Pick’able weapon the fires and klls the said NPC. These simple things would make a fast game developer out of any Artist who can reverse engineer.

It IS greatly appreciated especially in 4.24… Any way o add the simplest AI Enemy and a Gun one can pick up and fire? :slight_smile: I would pay, or help market your newest game or? (I have a few thousands youtube subscribers,…)

I’m desperate, I can do everything else, (and easily). I have been a CGI Character Designer and Animator for over 20 years. I can crate LIFE,…
I build vast gorgeous worlds in VR Editor,. I can do pickups for VR and Interactibles, BUT

but I can never seem to get that final step of an ENEMY shooting at me, then Dying from my PICKUP Weapon.

I even tried converting the ‘EPIC Full Shooter Game’ example. but I made ZERO progress, it is, like (every game kit), TOO UNLIKE every other game kit to really learn from… (they all do the same thing, but in completely different random ways)

Hi @NextWorldVR thanks for checking out the VRContentExamples project and am glad that you appreciated it.

I understand that it can be hard to find full examples and I personally think that nobody works on them as there isn’t a market big enough making it worth investing the time. Outside of VR you’ll easily find full templates of specific games pretty easily but that’s probably because you can sell quite a few copies so devs will invest the time. Making a template as you describe it can be quite some work and if by the end of it you get back poor sales devs won’t even bother.

Regarding implementing what you are asking for, I created the project so that it would only contain single standalone examples of VR interactions and mechanics. I am totally open to suggestions and I think that adding a bunch of weapons examples is totally reasonable. On the other hand NPCs shooting you and dying from your weapons shots isn’t really specific to VR (it’s the same logic in a non-VR game) so I wouldn’t want to add that as an example.

With that said I have a YouTube channel dedicated to VR only content and am always looking for new videos to make so I can definitely plan a video showing how to implement what you are talking about (at a basic level obvs). I would also share the project so that people can look into the code.

I appreciate you proposing to market my game but not making one right now (will be starting soon though wink). Have a great day.

I agree with this it really would be great to have something like that. It’s been a couple years since i looked at unreal vr templetes and plugins. Really all i ever wanted was a solid fps ready template.

I miss some of the old templates we had as they were simple to use and plug and play. The basic unreal vr template doesn’t do standard teleport (stick turning is weird) and comfort snapping otherwise id use it for basic projects.

Id really love it if now vr is more mature someone could create a solid template with most of the standard options, weapons and physics of half life alyx so we can easily swap out for out own models and art. I know enemies etc are a bit unrelated to these vr templeates themselves but something like a hl alyx type pawn and all the necessary basics to go along with it for a plug and play vr fps template that we can expand on and quickly get setup and going would be great.

This one seems the most promising as the elements are all mostly there but why not as onw pawn with switches to turn on and off the various features?

Great work by the way DownToCode and thanks for this. Id love to see it come together as a half life alyx style template please if possible? :smiley:

I totally get what both of you are after and understand it completely. Personally I think that the main reason why you don’t see much around of such templates as you described is that it’s really time-consuming to make one that is flexible enough. As soon as you start to build flexibility into your code then the design process becomes really hard and takes a long long time. The example you gave which is basically “Make a VR pawn that is fully customisable” it’s a good example of something that can easily become hard to put together. I guess really the main issue is that most of these templates are made by people in their own spare time (which is often really limited) which is exactly what I do with the VR Content Examples.

As per adding such a pawn to the VR Content Examples I will consider it but can’t promise anything for now. One thing to remember is that I have put this together with the sole purpose of having good **standalone **examples for people to get started or use in their projects, so, to be honest, this really isn’t a template or kit at all.

What I could really consider is a separate project for such a pawn but again I can’t promise anything :smiley:
If you guys are after a template that does it all you could also check this out.

Thank you for the examples, and I looked through your website. It seems things have really come together since you first made this post.

That link to the template is cool also, handy.

But I am most excited about learning and to create my own game so your standalone examples are perfect. i was just looking for help with my HUD and found so much more. kudos.

Yes things have moved forward quite a bit and there is more coming in the future :slight_smile:
So glad to hear it helps

hey guys i tried out this template today because i realy like the simpleness of it i tried launching it in unreal 4.26 but i get an compile error on couple of scripts when trying to launch watch menu .
i seem to be getting a compile error in BP_MotionControllerLaserPointerObject and BP_MotionController3dwidget saying

so i did just that and then reconnected the hand node to pointer index .
after that when i start it i just have a stationary camera and do not seem to have any control options ? am i doing something wrong or ?

i am a real noob and just doing this unreal stuff as a hobby so excuus me if what im asking is realy stupid :slight_smile:

THANK YOU DownToCode !
I don’t know English, so I’m using translation.I’ve just been trying to integrate the door and Drawer into my existing project.how to I’m using the default VR template with motioncontroller Pawn.?
(HTC vive)