[FREE] Radar Blueprint - Track enemies, friends, pickups and more!

Hey !

Amazing to here that it has been fully updated to UMG ! Will allow much more customization !
Thanks for taking time to do this :slight_smile:

Big Thanks!
I am subbed already, Can’t wait to see what you did
and How you did it,

Hi everyone,

In celebration of the release of my Arcade Space Shooter Template, I am releasing my radar code for FREE to the community. This is an update to the previous radar, but instead of using a custom HUD class, this version uses a regular UMG widget :slight_smile:

You can download it HERE! (UE 4.17)

You can also check out my Arcade Space Shooter Template HERE!

Np - hope you find this useful! :slight_smile:

Just released the update! :smiley:

I’m very grateful to you for doing that. CoquiGames
I’m going to try & Implement it Both as a cockpit screen, and also try out a 3D holographic radar version, as soon as I finish work.
I Will post some pics If anyone is interested is seeing what I come up with

Cool! Definitely interested in seeing what you come up with. I wanted to make the radar 3D like in Elite Dangerous but could never figure out how - if you figure it out, please show us :slight_smile:

Yeah thats probably the right implementation - choose which elements to make 3d. Even your sketch looks fantastic! I feel like we are most of the way there with the current radar - we just need to figure out how to convert the “flat” coordinates to a 3D plane and we should have something that looks really good. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!

Thats an in-game screenshot? Wow! It looks fantastic! Now that you mention it, it would be more difficult to orient yourself on a 3D radar with lots of ships - I guess a trade-off in that case. If we could work out the math to make the Bs in your example go up and down proportionally and move in perspective, we could create a separate 3D widget for folks that want to use it.

If I ever try to convert this to 3D, I may reach out for pointers :slight_smile:

Would It not be possible to use Billboard Icons in 3d space rather than actual 3d meshes?.
I can easily contribute the 3d radar model to this project if somone manages to figure it all out.
Maybe add it to any main ship BP as a child actor…

Just thinking aloud.

Yeah thats probably the best approach. I think @franktech is doing something similar- he is the closest to getting a fully functional 3D radar.

When I get more time I may look further into it :slight_smile:

At present, the target position on the radar depends on the full inverse transform of the player. So the target position changes as the player points up and down. This is a little confusing, especially as the player gets close to vertical.

But a radar typically shows xy position, independent of player orientation.

My solution is to compute the inverse transform based upon the players xy position and yaw and add scaling. I do this before plotting any targets. This simplifies FnGetRadarDotPosition.

This keeps target position on radar constant until the player flips over.

I post this as it may help others.

Hey thanks for sharing this@StainlessSteelRat! I’ll have a look and see if I can include it as part of a future update :slight_smile:

Hello, I’m a new user and I’m having a problem with your radar. I’ve copied all the files to use Radar, but when play, it doesn’t work. I change the radar range and the Object Distance Scale but nope.exe. I need help.

Hey RikuShadow97,

Which version of the radar did you download? There are 2 versions and each has to be setup differently. Thanks!

This is great thank you very much! I am having an issue though. the radar is working perfectly until the player dies then it doesn’t work after the player re spawns. I am using the UMG version and I did have to do a bit of a different set up because of the game we are making.

Update: I figured it out, I forgot to set it up to add the add the player back to the the Player Ref after a re-spawn

Glad to hear it! :slight_smile:

Does anyone know how I add this radar to the widget?

Hey @TheSubZer0 ,

There are two different versions of the radar - one that uses the HUD class and one that is a UMG widget. I would recommend you download the Widget version so you can use it in your own project easily :slight_smile: