[FREE] Modular Road Tool

Hey there,

Glad you found this useful :). Yes, you can add your own custom meshes for the intersections and road. In the case of the road, simply change the ‘pavement’ mesh with your rails mesh under the 1 Lane Defaults and/or 2 Lane Defaults. You can also change the pavement mesh on a segment basis - open the segment and change the mesh with your rail road mesh.

As far as performance - make sure you make the edits with Edit Mode turned on! If you are still having some issues, you can use Spline-Only mode, or simply create multiple Roads and connect them (instead of one very long road). The second option is probably better. Create your first road and then press ‘Spawn Actor’ to spawn another road at the end. This should help with performance.

Hope this helps!

Hey guys,

I made a quick tutorial about adding your own meshes / materials to MRT

Enjoy!

thank you so much! You are a true hero :cool:

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

You know one way you could really improve this and I have not found a tool to help in this yet is creating roads and pathways for RPG and adventure games. As of right now the only way that exist is to fuss around with spline details or use a layered material approach and expose the pathway with the brush which both are equally tedious. Otherwise this is an awesome tool and I’m glad you are contributing something so powerful to the community!

Hey [USER=“1805733”]The Gugaru[/USER] ,

Thanks for the suggestion :). Currently you can use your own mesh or custom material. So for example, you can change the road material to dirt or gravel and use that in an RPG. Take a look at the tutorial I posted above on adding a custom mesh.Is that what you mean? Or are you thinking something else?

I am getting errors when trying to use it. Unreal 4.19

Sorry I forgot to provide the error
The following member variables in blueprint ‘Blueprint /Game/Blueprints/Tools/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool’ have invalid type. Would you like to remove them?

Road Defaults
Defaults 1 Lane
Defaults 2 Lanes
Road Segments

Hey [USER=“1805733”]The Gugaru[/USER] ,

I got your message, but rather reply here so others can see in case they have the same issue. Those are the Structs created for MRT. How did you migrate MRT to your 4.19 project? Did you click on folder ‘MRT’ and Migrate the entire folder? From the error it looks like you are simply missing those files in your project.

Can you try to migrate the entire folder to your game? Let me know if that fixes the issue.

​​​​​​​Thanks!

Do you think I could port this over to 4.15? Would it be possible? It would be perfect my game.

Hey Mike,

I think its quite possible - everything Im doing on the BP side should work in 4.15 :slight_smile:

Hi,
I need help, when I put obstacle over the road, they are “inside” the road, where I can get the maximum Z of the road to add to the obstacle.

Hi there,

I’m not sure why this is happening, but the collision of the road is treated as Complex. If you are manually placing the object over the road, you can move the pivot point of your object to the bottom (default is center). If you are doing it programmatically, you can do a trace and get the impact point and use this vector to spawn your object. That will give you the correct location in world space.

Hope this helps!

Hey, great work on this tool! I was wondering what sort of limitations there are in terms of making some of the non-road extras into arrays instead of discrete options for sidewalk, rail, and 1 custom mesh. For instance, could I change it so that I have an array of meshes I want to be splines (the rails and sidewalks), another array of meshes that I want to spawn every few meters (the lights), and maybe another array of actors to spawn every few meters (such as traffic cones or road signs that have special behaviors when the player runs into them).

Great tool, many thanks and so quick to lay miles of roads now :slight_smile:

One question I do have though is how to change the forward axis when using different meshes ? my custom meshes are all side by side, rather than longways.
When using the spline tool I can change the forward axis which fixes it, with MRT I can’t find that option.

when i migrate it to other existing project it shows many errors .
attached image is of blueprint showing errors . please help me to fix it

Hey, thanks for this great tool. Super handy! I’m adapting it for 4.20 at the moment and if I disable the edit mode, my framerate drops from 120 to 50. also In-Game framerate drops as soon as I drive the road quite heavy. Any Idea about that? But anyways. Great work and super nice that you share it with the community for free!
I had some other errors which are connected to accessing arrays. Was able to resolve this by adding “is valid” nodes and branches.

Hey guys,

Sorry for the delayed response - for some reason I didnt get notified until now about the posts :frowning:

RIght now you can choose any mesh to be the “sidewalk” but it only takes a static mesh. Take a look at the code and see if you can add arrays - would be a nice update to the tool :slight_smile:

I didnt include an option to change axis, but I think you can change the spline forward axis manually. Open the tool and click on the spline component, then look at the options to change the forward direction!

Make sure you right-click on the MRT folder and select ‘Migrate.’ Then go to your new project and select the ‘Content’ folder. It should migrate without issues :slight_smile:

I’ve have several people message me about performance, so maybe I should make a quick video for everyone :). Anyways, the reason why performance is bad is because the tool adds individual mesh segments to the road. So if your road has 50 segments, the tool actually has 50 meshes in the level.

This is bad for performance, so here are some tips to improve it:

• Keep your roads short - Instead of making a long road with a single road BP, make a short road and use the Blutility ‘Spawn Actor’ to automatically spawn another road BP at the end of your current road. This keeps each road tool manageable.
  • Use the Edit Mode and Spline Only Modes when making longer roads and only deselect them when you are happy with the road placement. This will help with in-editor performance
  • Finalize your roads - When you are happy with the road, finalize it by right clicking on the road inside your level and selecting ‘Combine Actors.’ Unreal will create a new single mesh for the entire road and replace it in your level. This will make a huge different if you have a big road network :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!

Hi CoquiGames, for a start, thank you for this perfecto tool !
For a second, I get SO many warnings when cooking. Some of them like this:

UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogScript: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 0 from array 'SplineMeshArray' of length 0 in '/Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C'!
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogScript: Warning: Accessed None trying to read property CallFunc_Array_Get_Item23
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):       BP_ModularRoadTool_C /Game/Maps/LevelDemo_Sunny.LevelDemo_Sunny:PersistentLevel.BP_ModularRoadTool_C_110803
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):       Function /Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C:UserConstructionScript:010A
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogScript: Warning: Script call stack:
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):       Function /Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C:UserConstructionScript
PackagingResults: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 0 from array 'SplineMeshArray' of length 0 in '/Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C'!
PackagingResults: Warning: Accessed None trying to read property CallFunc_Array_Get_Item23
PackagingResults: Warning: Script call stack:
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogScript: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 29 from array 'RoadSegments' of length 29 in '/Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C'!
PackagingResults: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 29 from array 'RoadSegments' of length 29 in '/Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C'!
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogScript: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 0 from array 'SplineMeshArray' of length 0 in '/Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C'!
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogScript: Warning: Accessed None trying to read property CallFunc_Array_Get_Item23
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):       BP_ModularRoadTool_C /Game/Maps/LevelDemo_Sunny.LevelDemo_Sunny:PersistentLevel.BP_ModularRoadTool_C_119278
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):       Function /Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C:UserConstructionScript:010A
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogScript: Warning: Script call stack:
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):       Function /Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C:UserConstructionScript
PackagingResults: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 0 from array 'SplineMeshArray' of length 0 in '/Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C'!
PackagingResults: Warning: Accessed None trying to read property CallFunc_Array_Get_Item23
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogScript: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 5 from array 'RoadSegments' of length 5 in '/Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C'!
PackagingResults: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 5 from array 'RoadSegments' of length 5 in '/Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C'!
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):       BP_ModularRoadTool_C /Game/Maps/LevelDemo_Sunny.LevelDemo_Sunny:PersistentLevel.BP_ModularRoadTool_C_135480
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogScript: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 9 from array 'RoadSegments' of length 9 in '/Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C'!
PackagingResults: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 9 from array 'RoadSegments' of length 9 in '/Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C'!
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):       BP_ModularRoadTool_C /Game/Maps/LevelDemo_Sunny.LevelDemo_Sunny:PersistentLevel.BP_ModularRoadTool_C_144194
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogScript: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 14 from array 'RoadSegments' of length 14 in '/Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C'!
PackagingResults: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 14 from array 'RoadSegments' of length 14 in '/Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C'!
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):       BP_ModularRoadTool_C /Game/Maps/LevelDemo_Sunny.LevelDemo_Sunny:PersistentLevel.BP_ModularRoadTool_C_144195

UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogInit: Display: LogScript: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 0 from array 'SplineMeshArray' of length 0 in '/Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C'!
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogInit: Display: LogScript: Warning: Accessed None trying to read property CallFunc_Array_Get_Item23
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):       BP_ModularRoadTool_C /Game/Maps/LevelDemo_Sunny.LevelDemo_Sunny:PersistentLevel.BP_ModularRoadTool_C_110803
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogInit: Display: LogScript: Warning: Script call stack:
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogInit: Display: LogScript: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 29 from array 'RoadSegments' of length 29 in '/Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C'!
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogInit: Display: LogScript: Warning: Accessed None trying to read property CallFunc_Array_Get_Item23
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):       BP_ModularRoadTool_C /Game/Maps/LevelDemo_Sunny.LevelDemo_Sunny:PersistentLevel.BP_ModularRoadTool_C_119278
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogInit: Display: LogScript: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 5 from array 'RoadSegments' of length 5 in '/Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C'!
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):       BP_ModularRoadTool_C /Game/Maps/LevelDemo_Sunny.LevelDemo_Sunny:PersistentLevel.BP_ModularRoadTool_C_135480
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogInit: Display: LogScript: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 9 from array 'RoadSegments' of length 9 in '/Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C'!
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):       BP_ModularRoadTool_C /Game/Maps/LevelDemo_Sunny.LevelDemo_Sunny:PersistentLevel.BP_ModularRoadTool_C_144194
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogInit: Display: LogScript: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 14 from array 'RoadSegments' of length 14 in '/Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C'!
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):       BP_ModularRoadTool_C /Game/Maps/LevelDemo_Sunny.LevelDemo_Sunny:PersistentLevel.BP_ModularRoadTool_C_144195
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogInit: Display: LogScript: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 38 from array 'RoadSegments' of length 38 in '/Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C'!
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):       BP_ModularRoadTool_C /Game/Maps/LevelDemo_Sunny.LevelDemo_Sunny:PersistentLevel.BP_ModularRoadTool_C_24233
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogInit: Display: LogScript: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 37 from array 'RoadSegments' of length 37 in '/Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C'!
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):       BP_ModularRoadTool_C /Game/Maps/LevelDemo_Sunny.LevelDemo_Sunny:PersistentLevel.BP_ModularRoadTool_C_33189
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogInit: Display: LogScript: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 25 from array 'RoadSegments' of length 25 in '/Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C'!
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):       BP_ModularRoadTool_C /Game/Maps/LevelDemo_Sunny.LevelDemo_Sunny:PersistentLevel.BP_ModularRoadTool_C_39266
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogInit: Display: LogScript: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 45 from array 'RoadSegments' of length 45 in '/Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C'!
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):       BP_ModularRoadTool_C /Game/Maps/LevelDemo_Sunny.LevelDemo_Sunny:PersistentLevel.BP_ModularRoadTool_C_55101
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):       BP_ModularRoadTool_C /Game/Maps/LevelDemo_Sunny.LevelDemo_Sunny:PersistentLevel.BP_ModularRoadTool_C_65549
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogInit: Display: LogScript: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 7 from array 'RoadSegments' of length 7 in '/Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C'!
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):       BP_ModularRoadTool_C /Game/Maps/LevelDemo_Sunny.LevelDemo_Sunny:PersistentLevel.BP_ModularRoadTool_C_69536
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogInit: Display: LogScript: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 23 from array 'RoadSegments' of length 23 in '/Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C'!
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):       BP_ModularRoadTool_C /Game/Maps/LevelDemo_Sunny.LevelDemo_Sunny:PersistentLevel.BP_ModularRoadTool_C_70955
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogInit: Display: LogScript: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 13 from array 'RoadSegments' of length 13 in '/Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C'!
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):       BP_ModularRoadTool_C /Game/Maps/LevelDemo_Sunny.LevelDemo_Sunny:PersistentLevel.BP_ModularRoadTool_C_77692
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):       BP_ModularRoadTool_C /Game/Maps/LevelDemo_Sunny.LevelDemo_Sunny:PersistentLevel.BP_ModularRoadTool_C_99822
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogInit: Display: LogScript: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 51 from array 'RoadSegments' of length 51 in '/Game/MRT/Blueprints/BP_ModularRoadTool.BP_ModularRoadTool_C'!
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogInit: Display:
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogInit: Display: Success - 0 error(s), 120 warning(s)

These may cause errors instead of warnings later. That’s why I would like to take vaccines to prevent being affected by viruses.

Thank you very much for this tool.
Best regards.

Hey @OttomanEmpire , What engine version are you using?