[FREE] Full Game Jam game available for the community!

Yeah!! Finally. I’ve been looking forward to checking this project out. Thanks a bunch for this @CoquiGames.

@CoquiGames Awesome work with this, Im learning so much, but I have a question regarding the data table, as Im trying to recreate your steps, as its not in the project, can you walk me through how its laid out so I can incorporate my own, and add it to the DT_Levels?
Thanks

You’re welcome @CirQlar! Btw, thank you so much for your comments on Itch.io. Getting people to play and give feedback on your game is one of the most valuable things we can get - so really appreciate you took the time to let me know what you thought :).

Hey Adam,

I’ve been meaning to make a video going over the project and how the different Blueprints work,including creating a simple level and setting everything up. I’ve been very busy this week but hopefully I get some time soon :).

In the meantime, I can explain how the DT table works.

Basically, you want to create a new row with the row key as the level name, then fill out the following:

-Display Name -> This is the name that will appear on the stage clear widget -> This can be anything you want
-Next Level -> The level name (file name) that will be loaded automatically when the stage clear event is called
-Level Music -> The Cue to play when the level starts

Go to the Player Character BP and look at Stage Clear Event to see how Im using the data table.

The event looks up the data table row with the Current Level Name Node and once it finds it, it extracts the next level name and uses it on the Open Level node after a certain delay.

To add a new level, simply create a new level (or clone the LevelTemplate I provide) and save it. Then open the Data table and add a new row with the level name as the key. Then fill out the rest of the details and drag a GoalBP to your level.

You’ll know its working when you start the level and the music you selected on the DT starts playing automatically :slight_smile:

Let me know if you still have any questions - hopefully this gets you on the right track

Hi everyone

Just a quick update on whats going on with me lately!

The Verto Machina dev overview is coming in a few weeks as soon as I get my new computer - UE4 keeps crashing my machine and I cant even record the video right now :confused:

In the meantime, check out my upcoming project here:

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience!

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay! As promised, here is the Developer Overview for the project!!!

In the video I go over the following areas:

-Project Overview
-Setting up objects to be swapped / Main mechanic explained (Switchable Object Type)
-Level Linking Overview
-Blueprint Usage
-Jump Pad
-Moving Platform
-Doors
-Switches
-Laser
-Blutility
-Blueprint Components overview
-Modifying mechanics (swapping anything / increasing the grab distance, air dash)
-Creating a quick level

Let me know if you have any questions or if there is something else you want to know about.

Thanks!
@Avarthar, @AdamF, @CirQlar, @reverts

I tried the first Level, the project is interesting enought and the level design seem pretty inspired, however I have some issue with the game in its current state based on the unreal project I downloaded.

First the difficulty curve is very abrupt, The first steps are pretty standard and ask you to try the main mechanic in a simple way all individualy and it work fine, but past that when we meet the first puzzle its not an easy one exactly and there is no basi puzzle asking you to mix all your mechanic in a mroe easy way.

The game is a little too much punitive, there is a lot of hole and platforming and the respawn should not be hat far,. For instance, when we switxch for the first time two block it come just before the first puzzle. When we die we jhave to redo this little section again and again , and we can die a lot and easy wich is frustrating

My main problem is the way we select object. The ball that we throw is slow and its not always clear if some object are tyoo far or not and if we can shoot them. And I have moment where It seem that I have selected the same object twice and I canswitch itself position to itself position maybe in my mind but I am always sure of it. it is also not that clear if you already selected one object I know there iis the ball color but I am not sure this is enought.

i suggest something different fgor that. First Use a raycast System for that with a outline material that will affect all the object that youll select(cause so far is is not always clear what si the form, This way te selection is clearer and faster.
It will also let tjhe player easily select and unselect item.cause if you select the first object well and you make the mistake on the sectond that mean you have to cancel everything and start again.

Make a crosshair and a feedback on it. Like two half circle around the main dot and each half circle glow with each object selected. this way it is clear how many object you selected and when you are ready to make the switch.

Hey fapocalips,

Thanks for checking out the game and giving such detailed feedback! This game was made in 3 weeks for a Game Jam so I didn’t have time for testing / polish. However, I always planned to go back and polish the game. I heard many people say the same thing about level 2, so that will be fixed in a future update for sure :slight_smile:

Nice! Could someone help me to add more levels?

Hi VIRTUAL_LIFETIME,

If you are asking how to add new levels into the level linking system, check out this video overview where I talk about this - https://youtu.be/j-iwLn42eEI?t=412.

Hope this helps!