[Free Community Project] [Blueprints] Cardinal Menu System | Steam and LAN Server Browser and Pings

We released the project for 4.14 today. Please let us know if you have any problems. We fixed a few bugs and made the menu scale up to 4k displays.

If anyone is interested in helping expand or support this project, let us know in our forums.

been waiting for this update, thank you so much for all your work on this :smiley:

I’m glad you like it. Thanks :slight_smile:

Also, we will be fixing the Steam listen server ping 9999 problem once we iron out a plugin problem with UE4.14. I have it working with 4.13.

Hey, I was trying to get your menu to work since ZioYuri didn’t for my project. But I can’t get my project to launch with your files. Even creating a new directory with only your files, and running the CardinalMenu.uproject gets me a “Cannot be compiled. Try rebuilding from source manually” when trying to recompile the dll. VS2015 gives me about 7 errors when rebuilding the whole solution… would you have an idea of what the trouble is?

Hmm, that’s strange indeed.
Are you able to compile other projects?
Could you post some of the errors VS2015 is giving you?
Did you unzip the plugins into the plugins directory? (I compressed them because their file size compiled can enter the gigabytes range sometimes.)
Did you try uncompressing the project from the zip a second time? (Possible corruption? I test compile before uploading for every build.)
Maybe try re-downloading the project?
In VS2015 C++ is optional and isn’t selected by default on install. I’d run the re-installer and check if it’s installed if no projects are compiling. (I can’t remember what the check box is called)
Edit: I think this was the VS optional features install checkboxes - Visual C++ needs to be installed using a custom features install. Maybe make sure that is checked? You can cancel the re-install if everything is checked right.
vs2015-setup-custom.png

Edit Again: Did you make sure you’re using the correct engine version? Are you using the source version or the Epic launcher version of the engine?

I’ll try to answer everything accurately x):

-Are you able to compile other projects? : I have no other projects with C++ involved. As a matter of fact, once I created a C++ object in my own project while trying to install ZioYuri’s menus, I had a new tool “Compile” near the blueprint and build section on my toolbar. And I could hit it, and it’d compile all C++ code. But with this project I can’t even reach the editor, since it’s asking me to rebuild manually, though I’ve rebuilt it multiple times in VS.
-Could you post some of the errors VS2015 is giving you? : here you go https://imgur.com/a/8u0zX
-Did you unzip the plugins into the plugins directory? Yes
-Did you try uncompressing the project from the zip a second time? Yes too
-Maybe try re-downloading the project? I can, but given I had a similar problem with ZioYuri’s version, I suspect it’s something else entirely
-I’m pretty sure VS was installed with C++
-Did you make sure you’re using the correct engine version? I’m using 4.11.
-Are you using the source version or the Epic launcher version of the engine? I’m not sure what you mean, I do have a launcher, and I tried starting the project through double-clicking on the .uproject and through the launcher, with the same results.

Thanks for your help

Oh, I see. You probably want to use UE4.14 as I haven’t tried to roll back engine versions and haven’t had much luck with that. If you need to use 4.11 there are older version of the project at http://metahusk.com/files/CardinalMenu/ I will check which version was 4.11 if you need to find out. Can you use 4.14? There were changes in the plugins that break if you roll them back. If you want to manually go back to 4.11 you can find the plugins for 4.11 and use them and it may compile.

I will try and put all engine versions on the web page tonight if I get time.

@hyperblast

Sorry, it looks like you’ll at least have to use Unreal Engine 4.12 - I couldn’t remember how many engine versions the project goes back to. You’d either download the current release or use an older release that works on 4.12 for sure. (I put links to the older releases in the download page @ http://metahusk.com/cardinal-menu/)

To get it to work on 4.11: You can try to download the older version of VictoryPlugin and AdvancedSessions plugins and see if it will compile. I think LoadingScreen and MainMenuLib don’t have breaking changes going back to 4.11 but I’d grab the older versions of them as well just to be safe.

Or update your project to 4.14 and use the current build. I recommend using the current build with 4.14 as there are bug fixes.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Hey, thanks for the answers. The things is I’m well advanced in the project, so much in fact that apart from finishing touches like the menus and sound, nothing else is missing, so I’ve taken the time, yesterday, to build the menus from scratch with blueprints. I’m kinda “scared” to migrate all the project to another engine version now that it’s so advanced. And I’m pretty sure I’ve got assets that won’t work past 4.12.

But it’s good to know that for the followup project, I’ll get to work with the latest version of the engine and your menus :slight_smile: Thanks for all the help anyway, if I’d known it was not compatible I would not have wasted your time ahah

You’re welcome. I’ve been migrating things since the early release and usually things go okay. Sometimes a few nodes need to be replaced. I make copies of my project before trying an upgrade that way in case it doesn’t work I just go back to the original. I definitely understand the fear. I think 4.7 broke a lot of a project I was working on if I remember right. It was a nightmare.

Hello Parvan,
Thank you for such an amazing starter project. I am trying to trying to study this project. Testing the networking functionality I found something that felt odd, I don’t know if that is the intended behavior. From the Editor I launch 2 game windows - one is server window and other is client. If I host a game on Client window through cardinal menu then I can join it from the Server window using the join command of Cardinal. Everything works well, I can see two player movements fully replicated with proper controls. However, when I try to host a game on Server window, then although I join from client, I am loaded with Spectator pawn functionality. Maybe some settings is missing, or I don’t understand this well and it is by design. A little bit of clarification will help.

Thanks for the question. We mostly stopped building features once the player connects or the server starts. The template only includes basic stuff for the client server side of things once the game starts. It’s intended to be built upon by the user. (Because there are so many different routes the design can go.)

I can include a basic spawning system in the future if you’d like. But for now I’m mostly focusing on making the menu, match joining, and hosting aspects while leaving the actual mechanics after the clients connect up to the developer. I figured most people will want to design different things. (Lobbies, pre match menus, teams, and other different game types) Right now it’s just the 3rd person template the players spawn into. On the next release engine I’ll see if I can make something simple to manage player spawning, if I have time.

On my personal projects I just made a BP_SpawnPoint actor that is invisible in game. On event construct on that actor -> Auth Server -> Cast to GameState -> Event Spawn Point Transform
And then in GameState have an array of possible spawn locations that the SpawnPoints cast to and add their transforms.
Then when a player joins -> Spawn Character At Random Spawn Point Transform -> Joined Controller Possess Character
I’m sure there are better and worse ways to do things. I’m working on releasing a community project so we all can dig through it and see what methods work better. I think it’d be a good learning tool.

That’s a good question. I should have probably addressed that. Let me know if that doesn’t answer your question.

So is there a way to make this a blueprint only project? I’m trying to make it easy to reuse this menu for future projects and right now it’s not letting me rename the project properly, I get errors in VS15 when building after going through this tutorial https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/242407/renaming-a-c-project.html
I want to be able to package the game and have the .exe be named properly, IE instead of CardinalMenu.exe it would be NewName.exe

Well I guess I could just rename the .exe.

Youcanfindouthowtorenameprojectshere.
‘you can find out how to rename projects here’

Edit- @Alexander_Paschall Spacebar doesn’t work on the first line in a quick reply when replying with a quote from someone. No idea why. It works on every other line except the first one.

I renamed it from the original project to the new name, so yes it is possible. There are a few lines you have to change in the code. There aren’t many. Just use the find and replace function in VS.

You could also try just migrating everything to a new project and making sure the plugins are installed. I haven’t tried that but I imagine it will work. It will probably take a few hours of work.

What errors are you getting? There’s probably a missed old project name somewhere. I’m pretty sure I’ve followed that answer before and it worked. Good luck!

is it possible to replace the menu button options with images? It looks like they are set up in some sort of radio button array? BTW, thanks a ton for this!

I’m glad you like it. Thanks. Yeah, it is possible to use images. You’ll have to modify it a bit though. The buttons are in a BP called RadioButtonsLine. You could just make the buttons static if you’d like. Add an image to the BP and set those images in the MainMenu BP when it loads.

Just modify the radio button to support a image array so the images are loaded in the same way the buttons are generated.

Thanks for the replies! lol now my next problem is how to migrate this into another project. Do you have a tutorial on migrating into another 4.14 project?