[FREE] AutoSizeComments

Hey AngelV, could you screenshot or copy paste the part of your blueprint which is bugged?

it just lose sometimes some nodes. Mostly the last one to right.

Is it always the same node or does this just randomly occur for all your blueprints?

Same nodes from time to time in same places, never all at once. on the screen you see comment clear mouse target interface call - it also had a node that was invalidating an actor reference taht jumped out of comment.
its different nodesā€¦ sometimes its plan montage, sometimes its spawn particle, sometimes its custom eventā€¦ I cant see a pattern here.
Got a massive project. tons of comments :wink:

OK I think I figured out what the bug was, should be fixed in the lasted commit.

Feature Update
Hold alt while dragging nodes to move them in / out of comment boxes

update works like a charm. love your ideas on updates :slight_smile:

this improved my workflow by at least 15%

Excellent thing! :slight_smile: Thank You.

Iā€™ll start with this: Awesome Plugin! Really cool.
Some thoughts after toying around with it for a bit:

1. There seems to be no Undo for comment box interactions. Would that be a possible future addition?

2. When ALT dragging a comment box, would be great to have an option to drag the content along with it.
    This would be helpful in order to ALT drag a comment box into or out of another comment box.
    The way it works now is, I grab the comment box, hold ALT and drag, box moves, but its content does not (one would have to select the box AND its content, then ALT drag, which is a bit tedious).
    Solution to have both behaviors would be to honor the ā€œMove Modeā€ setting on that box (Group Movement vs Comment) or add an easy option to select all child nodes (e.g. MMB on box header).

3. Drag Resize. Just a thought. Would it be possible to add resize options (on border of box, as without the plugin), but use it only to add/remove nodes?
    I.E. drag-resize the box to encompass (or exclude) some nodes, then have it snap to the new auto size on release.
    (Though a key binding for that would be preferable, as I really like not having to worry now about going into resize mode when trying to grab and move a box while zoomed out - in vanilla that was always fiddely)

Thanks for the feedback,

1. I donā€™t have any plans to support undo atm. Afaik the current undo system does not hold information about what is inside a comment box, so it will be quite difficult to implement this. Though I havenā€™t actually looked into the code for that in detail, perhaps someone knows an easy way of doing this.

2. Iā€™ve fixed the alt dragging content issue, you can get the latest patch on github. The update in the marketplace will likely be in a week or so.

3. This does sound like a good idea, Iā€™ll look into this.

Coming from a VVVV background I really miss this feature in Unreal. This Plug-In should be in the vanilla versioin.

Feature Update
Comment boxes can now be resized and will snap to containing nodes on release

Hi fpwong,

thatā€™s a pretty great plugin!

Might I suggest a ā€œuse vanilla commentsā€ button to selectively flag on comments that we would like to not resize with the content?

I usually use some comments as headings to help me navigate the graph. I make the font bigger, then I change the color to make everything way more readable.

I rather to not have overlapping comments because depending on the color used some wires/nodes gets difficult to read.

Looks great :slight_smile:

Will add a button for this in the next update.

This plugin is great! Should come with the engine by default

Feature updates in 4.22

• Support for default font sizes
  • Support for preset comment styles (add preset in EditorPreferences | AutoSizeComments, then recompile your blueprint to see the buttons)
  • Added a button to toggle between header comment box and resizing comment box (only has text)
  • Added a randomize color button (the ? button)
  • Added extra resize points in top right and bottom left corners

Hi fpwong
Yup it is working now.
Are there settings for the random colours it chooses? I want to default it to 0.2 % opacity. oh - EditorPreferences ]

Update 3 October 2019 (v2.0.0):

• Improvement: Resizing now tracks your mouse position in the viewport correctly
  • Improvement: Header nodes do not move when empty and can be contained within other comment nodes
  • Feature: Nodes inside your comment are now saved to file (can be disabled with the Save Comment Node Data To File setting)
  • Feature: (only in UE4 4.23 and greater) Resizing the comment box will show which nodes are contained within the comment)
  • Feature: Randomize node color now has option for opacity from (default to 0.5)
  • Misc: Added settings to hide comment box controls

Love this! Where are the settings stored though? How can I transfer settings from one project to another (if this plugin is installed per-project)