Framerate drops after using editor for a while

It does not seem to depend on the time. It always occurs after I open any menu, change some settings, then right click on viewport (to close the menu and to control the camera). After I do that my framerate drops from 25-30 to 15. I’m not sure but this may also happen after I use material editor or static mesh viewer.
I run UE4 on laptop and use optimus (high performance adapter using by default). It doesn’t look like an overheating as my graphics card temperature is 50-55C and CPU is 60-70C.
My system specs:

• Windows 7 64bit
  • Intel Core i5-520M
  • 8 GB DDR3
  • 1GB GTX 560ti

Thank you.

I tested this again:

1. Turn on realtime rendering in
    viewport
  2. Click on “File” menu in the main
    toolbar
  3. Move the cursor on the “Edit” menu
    (or to any other menu in toolbar)
    then back on “File”
  4. Right click on the perspective
    viewport and rotate the camera view
  5. Check fps

I have to repeat step 3 and 4 a few times to make this happen. Right after I close menu clicking on viewport my framerate drops from 30 to 15.

Check memory and CPU usage too

That’s interesting. When I reproduced this issue again my CPU usage dropped from 30% to 10%. What does it mean? I don’t have any problems in other software or games.

hmmm this sound like some kind of power management going on, do you have any “Eco Power” stuff or other clock tuner that comes with laptop? Lot of laptops come with stuff like that

Hi Fungy -

Tracking FPS while in the editor window is a complex issue as that stat is influenced by everything your video card is currently rendering, so UI, particle effects, Animation, etc. It also is influenced by what is being processed by the CPU/GPU in total so what is also open in the background of the editor. In the case of your problem, I haven’t been able to reproduce the issue on my PC because my complete stats including what level, what other programs were open, etc. were different from what you are running.

FPS is more of a concern when you have Launched a game and have a consistent drop of FPS below what is adequate to player satisfaction.

Thanks

Eric Ketchum

Well, I was trying to find something related to “cpu power management” but nothing is there. Only battery management in Control panel. I also checked my BIOS and found “Speed-Step” line in “CPU features”. Anyway, nothing changes when I turn it off.

Thanks. Looks like I have to live with it until I decide to buy new laptop or reinstall Windows to see what causing the problem.