Framerate drop from "FindPathToWidget"

Hello there :slight_smile:

I’m recently experiencing a framerate drop on my A-RPG prototype.

After searching a bit and recording performance stats I have been able to find out the problem comes from “FindPathToWidget”.

Here is the screenshot of the Session Frontend results:
8d5038a999d245131e23bc2c40a74d43f476314d.jpeg

You can see on the performance curve that there are huge “pikes” of performance drop, they occur when I click my left mouse button. I tried to follow up the chain of events that happens at that moment but I didn’t identify something in particular that would have such a big impact on the performance. Therefore I investigated with Session Frontend but it gave me this weird “FindPathToWidget” info. I googled it a bit but I mostly find stuff relative to how to do things when someone clicks the mouse so it doesnt help much as you can imagine :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m wondering what is it, where does it come from, why does it takes up so much memory?

I do understand lots of things depend on my project but I need to know what is this strange call.

If anyone has a clue, I’m all ears! Thank in advance guys and gg gl hf for your projects :slight_smile:

Bump with an additional information.

It looks like this performance loss only triggers after the editor ran for X amount of time. I don’t experience any spike lag when mouse clicking when the project was just open.

I’d post this here: https://answers.unrealengine.com/spaces/11/bugs-and-crashes.html

Bumping here because I’m encountering the exact same issue with no solution in sight for many months now…

Just like OP, the framerate drop becomes more severe after prolonged use of the editor, though moving the mouse does the trick to kill the framerate when in PIE, no need to specifically click.

I did some profiling and, as you can see below, the time taken by FindPathToWidget matches nearly perfectly the framerate variation of the GameThread, showing that it is THE major source of framerate drop for my project…

Really dissapointed of Slate of this one.