FPS Gun not Attaching to socket on onverlap

So im following a tutorial found here
[link][1]
basically im trying to atttack a gun to my character when he walks on it. I followed the tutorial exactly, heres my blueprint

In the project settings i have snap to socket enabled, i added it to the player skeleton, on the right hand. in the blueprint, the socket is named correctly. However when i play my game it attaches behind the player like this

51622-screenshot.png

(the thing on the top is the arms for the FPS character. i moved the camera back so you can see them). the gun is attached to the player, and is moving with the rotation, but its being attached behind the player like that… Why is it doing that. Am i missing something here?

EDIT: I figured out part of the problem. I attached a second skeletal mesh to the player so that i could attach it to the camera. The blueprint was looking for the socket in the wrong one. I deleted the second one and applied my mesh to the first one, now it goes in the right place. HOWEVER, now i cant make the mesh a child of the camera so My arms dont move up and down anymore. Someone must have figured out a way around this?