FPS drop in packaged game fullscreen

Hi,

I made a small game, it has like 6 rooms. No AI is spawned, everything is low poly with LODS, 99% of textures are 512 max, lights and lightmaps are ok. I get huge FPS drop to 15-22 on Fullscreen in Packed Game, in Editor in Selected Viewport and Pie.

It only runs good at 40-60 FPS Fullscreen on Standalone Game in Editor.
Packaged it only works well in windowed mode at lower resolution.

I used to think maybe it was my pc, but then why does it run perfect Fulscreen with the Editor opened on StandaloneGame mode and also with my Internet Browser opened with like 20 tabs. But packed with every other program closed it drops so hard that it’s unplayable ?! Any ideas ?

UPDATE : I used the console command stat unit and i found out that my GPU is where the problem is at, it’s turning red lol. I have a GeForceGTX 950M with 4gb display and 4 gb shared memory. Any way to optimize this ? I already made LODs and lowered the lightmaps and texture mip maps :confused:

UPDATE 2 : In project settings turned on : Game Discards Unused Material Quality levels, turned off : Bloom, Ambient Occlusion, Ambient Occlusion Static Fraction, Motion Blur. = absolutely no changes still same FPS drop.

UPDATE 3: If i save in every room and load again, it plays at good 40-60 FPS but as soon as i venture in other rooms it starts to grind to a 10-15 fps again, it’s feeling like the GPU is gathering information and keeping it instead of dumping it when i leave an area … feels like it’s collecting all the objects and textures and just holding them …

UPDATE 4: Added PostProcessVolume and disabled what it sais here : https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/707033/view.html
Same FPS drop but my game is looking 50% worse

UPDATE 5: I just found out that StandAlone mode does not run at FULL SETTINGS like the Packaged game so that might be the reason for higher FPS, i’m starting to think maybe my graphics card is bad.

UPDATE 6: Added CullDistanceVolume with 21 elements and LightMassImportanceVolume = still same FPS drop

Nope, nothing changed. Thank you anyway

Unreal is probably eating up gpu. If you don’t limit your fps in your game then unreal will use all your gpu utilization to get as many frames as possible, which would cause your game to run very choppy and slowly.

You should add a ‘‘Event BeginPlay’’ node and attach a ‘‘Execute Console Command’’ on your level blueprint or on any blueprint in your level. In the command text box, enter ''t.maxfps 60" (The ‘‘60’’ is the limit of frames, you can change it to be whatever you’d like.)

This should work, since it has happen to me and this was my solution. Hope it helps.

340010-20210527-1429.png

I know this a bit old, but if I came across a post that means others are coming across it and I can’t tell you how many times I have been saved by “dead” post.

Anyway see my code, I run off Begin play.

The main bit of code here is that r.screenpercentage

Basically Resolution is what is going to affect your frame rate overwhelmingly.

I set it to 70, I’ll drop it to 55 if I am really having trouble. If you go below that you will really be sacrificing visuals.

Note dont use r.setRes on Console like an Xbox, it will crash it.

1 Like

This doesn’t make sense to me. If Unreal is using up GPU, it would get LESS frames. Do you mean that it is trying to get as many HIGHLY DETAILED frames as possible?