FPS c++ tutorial issues

I Keep getting the error CDO Failed to find BP_FPSCharacter. I followed the tutorial step by step I received this after adding this line to the Constructor

// set default pawn class to our Blueprinted character
static ConstructorHelpers::FObjectFinder<UBlueprint> PlayerPawnObject(TEXT(“Blueprint’/Game/Blueprints/BP_FPSCharacter.BP_FPSCharacter’”));
if (PlayerPawnObject.Object != NULL)
{
DefaultPawnClass = (UClass*)PlayerPawnObject.Object->GeneratedClass;
}
I had to add the BP_FPSCharacter in the template manually to get the male character to show up.

I continued from that in the Tutorial
Just wondering if i should back step and redo the Character process .

Hey socar86,

I am going to move this thread over to the C++ section of our forums. They would be able to assist you more so then in General Discussion.

Thanks and have a great day!

Is it just me who finds this code ambiguous.

DefaultPawnClass = (UClass*)PlayerPawnObject.Object->GeneratedClass; // Ambiguous to some about in what order operators are applied
DefaultPawnClass = ((UClass*)(PlayerPawnObject.Object))->GeneratedClass; // Much clearer.

Do you know when your getting this error (At what line?) I would imagine its:
static ConstructorHelpers::FObjectFinder<UBlueprint> PlayerPawnObject(TEXT(“Blueprint’/Game/Blueprints/BP_FPSCharacter.BP_FPSCharacter’”));

But its possible it could be an error when you actually call the member function. I would log out some stuff wherever you can such as “Before ConstructHelper” and “Before Default Pawn” just to check where.

Two things to look out for- make sure you add _C at the end and also always right click on the blueprint and copy the asset path. It’s just a paste into code and add “_C” at the end from what I recall (my code is not here with me atm)

Your reference to your blueprint is probably invalid. Make sure it’s ok by copying from within the editor : https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Content/Browser/UserGuide/BrowserAssetCreation/index.html#referencehandling

what do mean by adding _c at the end ?

by the way the error appears every time i open FPSProject . The bluprint made doesn’t appear in the map , i had to add it manually to the map.

finally found out it was a location issue as the blueprint was not declared in a sub folder with that resolved i continued on now i have into errors while trying to compile the new projectile information. in Visual Studio.

Like I said you can copy the reference from within the editor by right clicking on the blueprint in the content browser, this make it a lot less error prone. What is the compilation error that you are talking?

im receiving a lot of errors when i finished imputing the projectile information then complied instead of finishing the build i received many errors instead even though i followed instructions exactly.

I have followed that tutorial as well and I didn’t have any issues. You probably have a syntax error or something. If you don’t provide us the errors there’s not much that can be done. You can show your code too.

Appending an _C indicates it is a Class. Like this code sample:

// set default pawn class to our Blueprinted character
	static ConstructorHelpers::FObjectFinder<UClass> PlayerPawnBPClass(TEXT("Class'/Game/Blueprints/MyCharacter.MyCharacter_C'"));
	if (PlayerPawnBPClass.Object != NULL)
	{
		DefaultPawnClass = PlayerPawnBPClass.Object;
	}