Forum Avatars would be wonderful :)

Attachments fixed :wink:

No updates on forum improvements at this time, but we’ll let you know as soon as anything of note is heading your way.

Thanks for the feedback!

I’ll rephrase - if I ask a question and somebody I’ve never seen before with only a handful posts comes back with a short answer, I’ll usually probe deeper. Since it’s fresh in my memory, here’s my latest thread as an example. First answer is from a user I don’t recognise and is four words long (and it’s wrong). If I’d taken that persons word for it and not asked again I may not have been led to the commit I needed.

Aside from the odd edge cases or people you familiarise yourself with (Koola being a good example), it’s a good indication IMO. That’s just my personal opinion I’ve arrived at after coming from loads of different forums over the years, not just the Unreal ones.

Doesn’t make a difference to my ability to moderate posts (which at it’s worst is removing spam, fixing spelling errors in thread titles, adding

tags to posts and very occasionally deleting flame posts / locking threads). This isn't 4Chan...

[quote]

We have some signature rules. But they are not being enforced. It says:  You as the moderator are breaking the rule by using larger font sizes than forum default font size. And you have already seen a lot of people having large fonts and images in signatures but didn't do anything about it either i.e lunyBunny in this same thread. Problem with writing rules is in a dusty thread is, people don't follows them. Most of them don't know any signature rules exists to begin with.

[/quote]

The actual rule is and I quote: "Keep signatures to a reasonable size." Reasonable is whatever we deem it to be - and the main concern is size, not what you put in it (obvious profanities aside). If we want to get picky at mine in particular, it's only four lines - and some of the text is smaller than default font size. It's not unreasonable and neither is LunyBunny's.

---

Some pros about the design is that it uses all screen-space to full effect (Polycount forum in particular has a lot of wasted real estate IMO). The post text is the most prominent feature by far. Can't please everyone..

So you only read the “Keep signatures to a reasonable size.” and ignore the 3 lines that follow? Here’s the full paragraph:

It clearly states use no fonts larger than default font size (default font size being what I’m writing with) and yours is clearly bigger than that.

Post #3 is another moderator with larger font in his signature than allowed size.

Post number #5 on this page is again another moderator, , with 10 lines in his signature, and fonts larger than allowed size.

I understand if it’s simple users, but forum moderators violating the same rules they should be enforcing to others, it’s disappointing.

And there are more people like that. So why not just delete the thread containing signature rules? because I don’t like it when I get a warning by Adam when I have 6 lines instead of 5, because I don’t have a Mod badge. I don’t really care what sort of signature you guys have, I really don’t look at them and am not concerned, but my idea is that as long as there are forum moderators violating the board rules then simple users shouldn’t be taking any hit for doing the same thing.

[MENTION=14973]Chance Ivey[/MENTION], Thanks for letting us know.

Oddly enough, I personally like UE4 forum more without any avatars.

I dislike avatars. They tend to clutter forums and use up space better served for making the username (which is unique and searchable) more prominent.
They’re probably not mobile friendly either.

If one removed the forum rank (redundant with post count or badges), post count (probably useless), and join date, the only content in that side bar would be the username. The badges could be moved adjacent to the signature, meaning you could move the username to whatever place would be most prominent, and format it as well.

In fact, if it were not for that extraneous information, the username would be so easy to parse that avatars wouldn’t be necessary. As it is, the extra clutter bores the eye, and while avatars are vivid enough to overcome that problem, it comes at the cost that they’re also more vivid than the rest of the forum).

The irony of that example is the person who posted the commit had a far lower post count and a shorter name than the first respondee. The lesson there is to disregard post count and weigh an answer on its merits (or lack thereof).

I agree with you 100%. Unless they are used in a tasteful fashion. ie. A selection of avatars that are deemed appropriate by Epic. Then you don’t get pictures of disturbing things, or advertisements.
So if there was a drop down list of. Unreal engine logo’s, paragon characters faces, Boy from Kite demo, Unreal tournament objects, simple Icons, etc. That would be great, and liven up the atmosphere.

Every forum I’ve ever spent a huge amount of time on has stats under a username. I really don’t see the big fuss about them.

Here’s another one I’ve spent many years visiting. Personal avatars are about the only measurable difference and they’re very useful for knowing who you’re responding too quickly. Epic-chosen avatars don’t do that. The old UDK forums had those, and they were about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

Well of course, it would be silly to do anything different. I picked a bad example I guess.

I stand by my opinion, which is essentially that those stats can be useful.