Fortnite Pipeline Montreal Dev Presentation Discussion

Hi - I just watched this excellent presentation via YouTube. Am from Montreal but totally missed out on Dev Day (****!). I work on VR narrative projects - particularly in art installations. Sequencer has completely changed my workflow which I’m so happy about.

I want to start a discussion on some of the content / process going on here. Hopefully we can get @Brian.Pohl involved. Getting the slides would be great.

I’m very curious about the use of SubLevels in Sequencer, and how things were organized generally. How/why certain things were split in SubLevels - if I recall Lighting and Post Process stuff were in their own SubLevels. I would loooove to see a more specific breakdown.

Currently i’m using SubLevels to introduce different environments. Each environment/sublevel has its own lighting (mostly baked), its own Post Process, its own everything. My works generally transition between different environments as seamlessly as possible but I often run into issues blending Post Process volumes, and blending lighting situations. If anyone deals with this - any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks Brian & Epic for putting up the talk on you tube!

Well with the introduction of more and more tools relating more towards compositing 3d environments using 2d workflows it’s rather clear that Epic has a vision of the Unreal 4 engine becoming a bit more than just a game engine. Sub-level, or X-referencing has been around for a long time as far as “compositing” large environments goes and more so in the area film production where there is little difference between film and video game production values. This could be a reason that rumor has it that Epic is working with Weta and where system inclusion like FBX and Datasmith steps in that will bridge the gap between set design and environment development that serves the needs of both film and video games

As a 3d artist in general and a games developer by choice the ability of the “average” artist to create AAA or hi fidelity assets has become easier by the advancement of technology but has been limited by the lack of tools that will allow large groups to work together with out stepping on each others tools (toes :wink: ) which creates bottle necks by converting what should be a process that requires the skill of an individual rather than combining the sum total of the skills of the team working on the project.

As a practical solution to a problem we have a need to support a number of game types but required overloading the “persistent” level with game type entities and impossible to update as desirable game types becomes available. With sublevels the persistent level becomes the set, as in the movies, and a sublevel can be switched in via BP based on the purpose the set needs to serve.

The frame of mind is…

Things are always changing and I suspect that game mechanics is no longer a need that serves the purpose of the video game as compared to the desire for people to interact in interesting ways that does not involve firing a digital weapon. .