"Format text" blueprint node causes freeze on compile

This is a freeze-on-compile issue I’ve been having migrating my working 4.10.4 project to any future version through the current 4.12.2. I have narrowed it down to the “format text” blueprint node. Attached is a video demonstrating the issue, and a very stripped-down version of my project that demonstrates the issue. Check it out:

Some PC specs: Windows 8.1, i7-4930K, GTX Titan original, 32GB RAM. Malwarebytes anti-malware, though turning it off doesn’t fix the issue.

Hi seanny,

I was able to reproduce this in your sample project but I was trying to pin down the exact cause. You know your blueprint better than I so maybe you will have better luck. I noticed that either deleting the Macro or deleting the blueprint setup inside of the Marco will allow the editor to compile without freezing.

I’ll continue looking into this when I can but I wanted to share my findings.

I’ll take a look at it tonight as well. Thanks for the tip; I forgot the macro was still there in the stripped-down project.

I have drastically reduced the project into the simplest possible thing that still triggers the freeze, downloadable here: Dropbox - File Deleted

Here’s a diagram of all the blueprint: Dropbox - File Deleted

There’s an unused macro in the “MacroLibrary.uasset” called “This macro casts to pawn and nothing else”. Its presence in the macro library, even though it’s not used in any blueprint graph, is part of what causes it to freeze. There’s another macro in the library called “A totally empty macro”; placing that one into the pawn’s event graph is also necessary. And finally, the format text node with an extra input is the seemingly essential 3rd ingredient.

Beats me, but thanks for any help you can provide.

I checked the latest UE 4.12.3 and the project still crashes on compile. Take a look at the further-simplified project I linked to in last week’s comment if you have time.

Hey Seanny,

Sorry for the delay. I took a look at it yesterday afternoon and I was attempting to duplicate the freeze in a blank project with the exact same setup. So far I’ve only been able to get it to reproduce in your project. I will likely use that project to enter the bug report later today. I’ll post back here when I do.

I’m still unable to determine exactly why this is happening. I’ve created JIRA UE-32153 and attached your project. Our developers will be investigating further. I’ll post back here with updates as we have them.

Cheers,

TJ

Thanks for looking into it!

Any progress on this? I’ve been migrating the project to 4.12.5 by hand, copy-pasting or re-creating bits of blueprint starting from a new empty project, and it’s totally happening again. I placed down a print-text, attached a format-text, added an input to the format-text and it freezes on compile.

Hi seanny,

This is still being investigated by our developers. They have moved it’s priority up to Major so hopefully we will see some traction on it soon.

Hey seanny,

Just wanted to let you know that this is now working as expected in our latest internal build. You can look at the exact progress of the JIRA on our Public Issue Tracker here.

Cheers,

TJ