Forked, cloned, and built source. F5 gives "Unable to start debugging"

I’m following the directions in README.md on the UnrealEngine github page. I’ve successfully forked, cloned, and cleanly compiled UE4, set the dropdown to “Development Editor”, Win64, and set the startup project to UE4, but when I try to run (F5) I get a Visual Studio dialog that says:

“Unable to start debugging. Check your debugger settings by opening project properties and navigating to ‘Configuration Properties–>Debugging’”

I have reinstalled Visual Studio, and cloned a fresh repo but I still hit this. I’ve tried setting the config properties with no luck. I feel like I’m missing something basic here. The step after the compile in the directions just says to “press F5” (as do other similar tutorials), so this must work for everyone else.

What could I have misconfigured here?
Thanks for the help.

2 Likes

are u setting target to development editor x64 at top panel?

1 Like

I’ve hit this issue intermittently before and this may not be what is causing you problems. In Visual Studio, with Solution Explorer open, make sure that the correct project is set as the default. Right-mouse on UE4 and select “Set as Startup Project”.

20 Likes

Yes. Sorry, I should’ve included that info.

Thanks for the help, but it I had set it as startup project via right mouse button already. I thought that might’ve been the problem, but no luck.

I had the same problem and was going insane about it.
But in my case the reason actually have been the Debug settings. I wonder why they are defaulted to a state where you can’t use the debugger. At least for me it was like that and I was using a fresh and clean VS 2017 install.

Anyway - after entering these settings it all worked: c# - Cannot Debug in VS2017 with Windows 10 - Stack Overflow

1 Like

Thanks. same as you, when I compile engine first time, all debugger settings are blank and your link works for me

I received the same error when trying to run on the Switch using VS2019. For me, it turned out that installing the “VSI for NX” did not enable it. So I solved my issue from VS:

Extensions => Manage Extensions => Installed => NX Visual Studio Integration => Enable

Then I was golden.

Thank you for this simple advice! I didn’t even notice that my startup project got switched to the engine.

1 Like

This has helped me.
My situation was:
I copies my entire project to external disk and copied it to another pc via it.
Then after deleting Intermidiate, Saved, binaries and .sln project I then clicked on Generate visual studio project files. After that I also clicked on the Unreal Engine executable to run it and it requested to rebuild it which I allowed and the editor started.
After that I opened the visual studio solution.
When trying to then ctrl+F5 the project I had the encountered the Unable to start debugging error.
So setting my project (the one that is under Games in the Solution Explorer) to Set as Startup Project" solved it!
Thanks!

6 Likes

Thank you very much for the help

This helped me too. I wish I had seen this before wasting 2-3 hours reinstalling VS. BTW for those new like me, to do this you open solution explorer: Right click project > Configure startup project. > Common Properties > Startup Projects then there is a drop down to select your project.

2 Likes

Worked!!! Thanks a lot

I had to right click on the solution instead and set my project name as default startup and that solved my issue, thanks !

3 Likes

had this problem too, I was changing to VS 2022 and startup project was EU5 , not mine, switching to helped.

Thank you! Right clicking on My project Folder (Under Games ) and selecting “Set as Startup Project” Helped.

2 Likes