Forest Tree Collection

Very nice work. Looking very realistic

Ive never seen a decent looking Giant Redwood tree made anywhere. Would love to see it added.

Nice work however very well done, looking forward to seeing this on the Marketplace.

I would also love to see a giant redwood tree, even speedtree didin’t provide them for some reason.
Have you thought about to create a little scene, clip ?

Thanks guys!

The screens are with FXAA, not a fan of tempAA since it blurs textures to much, especially on Oculus.
The beech trees are between 0.75 and 2 meters in diameter, the oaks are a little smaller with 0.5 to 1 meter.

We would love to model some giant sequoias as well, maybe next time we go to LA or SF, the sequoia forest isn’t that far from there, could make a little detour.

When we have all trees imported in UE4 we will build an example forest and post some clips of it.

cheers

Willi Hammes

Managing Director
MAWI United GmbH

@whammes They look really awesome. Can’t wait to see these in marketplace.

Cheers.

Have you tryed to lower the polys and use instead materials with parallax “POM” effect ?
Cryengine has some trees with parallax materials and they actually look pretty good.

These look insanely good. Curious to see a video of how the modular pieces work. And +1 to the large beech tree branches. I’ve been looking for some big, twisted trees, so I can’t wait to see if this fits my needs.

RRRRRReally amazing!!

They certainly look good, how is bark made, its separated in 2 meshes and 2 materials? For me that would be no go as it would not be optimized for large forest, but non the less ground plants are still worth the buy.

Hi janpec,

there is one master material for all trees.
Each tree uses his own single instant of the master material, with individual textures assigned.
The base, middle and tip trunk parts are of course separate meshes, they could easily be combine if necessary.

cheers

Willi Hammes

Managing Director
MAWI United GmbH

Congrats. A Customer here : )

Any chance of some tropical trees/plants in the future?

They look great! Just wondering are the trunk/roots using scandata or are they 100% handmodeled

Beautiful work, the details are amazing! =)

@Crushed - No I think your right, haha that is not a pine trunk, even if it were, those branches are way too small and the trunk too short for its thickness :wink:

These have been photo-scanned and I know from experience that branches are impossible to do this way so maybe its a lazy work around… ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE TRUNKS THOUGH!!

Looks fantastic! Definitely want to use those at some point.

Yes the trunks are photo scanned, the top branches will be hand modeled.
It’s impossible to photograph them without having to many artifacts, but you can still use them as a good modeling guide.

I’ll post some images of the oak branches later this weekend.

I just uploaded two quick clip of the example scene:

cheers

Willi Hammes

Managing Director
MAWI United GmbH

Just uploaded another video, see link in previews post.

cheers

Willi Hammes

Managing Director
MAWI United GmbH

thx for the answer. The Photo scanned trunks look amazing.

How well would these assets run in a large forest scene?