For those that getting flashing or black screen in the editor. (Troubleshooting)

Hey everyone, there are a lot of people that experience this issue.

If your Unreal Engine editor menus or screen go black - blank - or flash continously and you have to restart unreal engine. (You probably have an NVIDIA GPU) try this registry fix and restart your computer to fix it. I did it on my pc and it works.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5157/~/after-updating-to-nvidia-game-ready-driver-461.09-or-newer%2C-some-desktop-apps

I had this same issue and was able to fix it by disabling MFAA through the NVIDIA control panel. Credit goes to this Reddit post. I’d try that before installing anything.

https://www.reddit.com/r/unrealengine/comments/u4eoim/menu_shows_new_window_of_unreal_engine_screen/

1 Like

I also have encountered this issue.

I’m running a fresh installation of Windows 11 with an Nvidia 4070 graphics card, as well as Unreal Engine versions 5.1 and 5.2.

I have two 2K screens, and the main screen in Unreal Engine frequently goes black. I can temporarily bring it back by pressing Alt+Tab, but as soon as I switch back to Unreal Engine, the screen flickers and goes black again.

I attempted the solution mentioned in the Nvidia support article by modifying the registry, but unfortunately, it didn’t resolve the issue. Here is the link to the article: After updating to NVIDIA Game Ready Driver 461.09 or newer, some desktop apps may flicker or stutter when resizing the window on some PC configurations | NVIDIA

Although the latest Nvidia driver download claims to have fixed the black screen or flickering problem, I am still experiencing this issue.

Tomorrow, I plan to try installing previous versions of the Nvidia drivers to see if that resolves the problem.

thank you ! Finally this solved my issue!

In my case, I had the same issue with the black screen, but interestingly, for the last five days, I haven’t encountered it at all. I noticed that both of my 2K screens were connected with a cable that had HDMI on one end and something else on the other. I replaced that cable with a standard HDMI to HDMI cable, and since then, I haven’t experienced any black screens

It’s 2024 and the solution provided in this post worked like a charm! Ty so much!