Footstep Problems - Anim Notifies Not Playing if Montage plays

Hey everyone,

I am working on an FPS which has working walk and sprint animations. These raw animations are called in the first person state machine, and have footstep notifies on their animation timelines where I want the sound to play.

I also have reload montages which play on a button press. These montages are made from animations with a “No Additive” setting. Right now I pick up a weapon and walk or sprint around, works great. Notifies work, and footsteps play. However if I press the reload button, the reload montage plays and effectively “takes over”, so my walk and sprint anims are no longer playing. Consequently I don’t get footsteps sounds while reloading. My goal is to hear footsteps while walking around and reloading.

I have tried this solution, which handles footsteps outside of animation, but it causes my viewarms and weapons to vanish for reasons I don’t fully understand yet: Tutorial: Adding Player Footstep Audio in UE4 with Blueprints | Franbo

I’ve also taken a look at making the reload animations “Additive”, but this causes problems because the anim can be offset badly depending on the base animation/pose I use, and there’s no single animation or pose that covers all situations.

TL;DR: what is the best solution to play footsteps if I’m unable to get anim notifies to work? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Thanks! I will see if I can do this, I do in fact just have floating arms in my anim blueprint.

the reload montage plays and effectively “takes over”, so my walk and sprint anims are no longer playing. Consequently I don’t get footsteps sounds while reloading

I would try using a anim blend per bone in this case. it will basically mix the animations allowing both to play at once. so you could blend at the waist, which would result in the reload anim playing from the waist up and the run anim playing from the waist down. i haven’t tried it with sounds but i have used it with notifies before and it worked.

worth giving a shot at least. though you mentioned its fps so maybe you only have floating arms in which case it may not work. maybe theres another type of blend.