Foliage light problem depending on the orientation of the camera

Hello,
After converting my project to UE5, the scene appears dark depending on the orientation of the camera, when I look at the landscape, with artefacts running through, or invisible foliage, and a white shpere in the middle, there are thousands of foliage on the landscape and I can’t start all over for the ue5 version, do you know what it is?

1 Like

scale?
skysphere scale?

No, that’s not it, when I remove all the lights, skyphere etc … I still have this problem, it’s only when I remove all the foliage that the problem disappears, I specify that since version 4.26 EU I have not made any changes

it looks like invisible foliage and foliage and mesh appear roughly compared to landscape, and when I zoom in on the landscape, the problem disappears

Hello,

Since moving to UE5 our team is also experiencing this issue. There are parts of the map where if looking through camera in such place, there are many rendering glitches as mentioned by the @Matmoutt like the scene becoming completely dark, incorrect shapes being rendered, the foliage disappearing and the skydome shrinking. Disabling foliage actor data layer immediately fixes the view without having to even move the camera. This is happening for us on UE5 Early Access 2.

It just seems that something is breaking in the rendering pipeline if too many instances are being rendered, we’ve notices that it is also being affected by changing the light sources (e.g. the direction the camera has to face in order for the glitches to appear). It can also be easily reproduced in a fresh project on an basic level - just start placing a dense foliage in one place in a close proximity to each other and around 150k-200k the glitch should start to appear. Event the type of used mesh for the foliage seems to change to glitch behavior - e.g. when I was testing, for an ordinary static mesh, the foliage was just starting to disappear, but for the foliage that was just some grass with opacity mask on a plane, mostly strange shadows were starting to appear and the sky was disappearing as well.

Has someone else encountered this behavior? Has somebody found a solution it or has any idea how to fix these glitches? Does Epic Games staff already acknowledges this as an issue? Our team uses foliage system quite often so removing and not foliage is no option for us, and it shouldn’t be affected by such low limit of instances. Any further suggestions are welcome as well.

1 Like

I pray this is an early access issue and will be fixed in the official ue5 release

Hi, @Matmoutt Hi @Patryk_Walewski,

UE 5.0 EA binary is very OLD (August 2021) and a pre-launch version is available and documented in my post.
To cross-link to your previous question and my detailed answer see
Instanced foliage is causing massive performance drop when changing the visibility of ordinary static meshes in UE5

Visual Studio 2022 RC 2 builds and runs UE5.0 - Development Discussion

UE50-main is a very leading-edge developer version and may not always compile

1 Like

Hi,

Our team is aware that there is the main UE5 branch available on GitHub or Perforce. The problem is that, as You have mentioned, it is a leading-edge branch and is not guaranteed to be stable and we can’t risk downloading engine source that might have more some other basic functionalities broken or in middle of some engine changes. I wish there was another branch that would be updated more frequently than the Early Access but more stable than the main one.