Foliage Imposter Sprites being rotated incorrectly

Hi, I’ve created some imposter sprites using the method described in the UE4 documentation: Render 3D Imposter Sprites | Unreal Engine Documentation).

We’re using them as the lowest level lod for our tree meshes, and have generated the sprite sheets and included them in the tree assets ok. But when including the trees in a landscape level, we’re getting the incorrect sprite rotations being shown… When placing the trees manually from the content browser the correct sprites are selected for the view angle, but when added to the landscape via the foliage painter or nature volume we get the sprite rotation errors…

Have attached images of the sprite sheet texture, imposter sprite material and a couple of example screenshots…

Do you have any ideas of how to get the imposter sprite rotations showing correctly when added via the foliage painter? Any help would be great…

Hello, were you able to find a solution for this?

Hey, sorry I can’t remember now it was a while ago… We moved on to using Octahedral Imposters.

Hi! thanks for the reply. I did try Octahedral Imposters as well, but I am facing a similar issue there too. The imposters do not take the rotation of the individual foliage instance. They all seem to have the same default rotation. Is there something I might have overlooked? Thanks again!

Hey, sorry it was I while ago we looked at this and we even put the octahedral imposters on hold in a semi finished state, still intend to go back to them but other higher items on the to do list atm…
We got a long way towards our performance targets simply loding the trees down using simplygon…

Might be worth posting separately to see if anyone can help, i’d be interested if you get any answers as well… The only thing I can think off the top of my head is to check your foliage type settings, maybe the lod settings in the static mesh, and the sprite/imposter material as I seem to remember there were some object position and rotation settings in there as well.

Soz

Hey, so after trying out different things, I came across this variant of the imposter tool.

It works for upper hemi-sphere imposters,which is what I needed. But the full imposter still seems broken. I guess in most cases upperhemi-sphere should work just fine, so its worth checking out, if you are still looking for a solution.

1 Like