FloatingPawnMovement jittery/choppy movement

Hi,

I have a Floating Pawn movement on my Camera Pawn with a FloatingPawnMovement and I control with the following blueprint:

The problem is that when it moves, the movement is quite choppy and Jitterry. My scene is not overly complex (i.e. a few low poly meshes) and I have checked the fps and it stays above 60 (around 100 most of the time) during the test.

Any Idea on how to identify the source of the problem ?

Thanks

Hey @,

I don’t see anything in your blueprint that should be adding any jittery movement, so let’s look elsewhere for issues.

Do you have any movement related logic elsewhere in your player or player control? Does this issue persist on a completely new level? Is the jittery movement due to the SpringArm colliding with objects, or is the sphere itself jittery?

If you suspect the game is getting the wrong vector data, you can test this by setting up a simple print string to event tick, and hook the string to the return value on Get Actor Forward Vector. If you do not rotate your actor, this should stay constant. The same method can be used to debug the input axis value reading properly.

I hope this information helps, and I look forward to hearing from you!

1 Like

I’d suggest removing the scene component. Shouldn’t be there afaik.

Parent class also has to derive from PAWN.

Hi,

Do you have any movement related logic elsewhere in your player or player control?

I change the Player Controller to a blank one and the issue persists,

Does this issue persist on a completely new level? Is the jittery movement due to the SpringArm colliding with objects, or is the sphere itself jittery?

No it also seems to happen on a new level,

I also checked the Vectors and Input Axis values which seem normal.

I made a short video demonstrating the issue, is it just me imagining things ?

Youtube Link

Hey @Anthony-Mostly-Harm1,

I’m not seeing any jittery movement there. Changing directions is a little harsh, but that’s to be expected with a super basic movement setup like this. Try moving your character over a flat plane of a single color with a lot of contrast to your character, and see if the behavior persists. You can also try turning on Smooth Frame Rate in the project settings, try clamping the range to 60-80 fps to see if frame drops are the issue.

Good luck!

Hi,

Yes it seems that when I limit the frame rate to 60 fps it works better. I also see an improvement when I package the project.

This might be naive but if I do see changes by limiting the fps does that not mean that I should involve the delta from one frame to another in the movement ?