Flickering text and images all over the editor

Hi,

I’m having some trouble with flickering text and sometimes images in the editor. It happens all over the place. This started happening in 5.3 I think, then I had a longer break and now I installed 5.4 but the issue is still there. Everything works as expected but it’s very annoying. I tried the following to fix it:

• repair
  • complete reinstall
  • (GPU) driver updates
  • different monitor
  • updating windows from 10 to 11

No matter what I try, the issue remains. This happens only if the editor is the focused app, as soon as it looses focus, the flickering will stop and it will start again when the focus comes back. I’m using an AMD Vega 56 graphics card.

I’ll try to upload some gifs to better show what’s going on.

ue_flicker
ue_flicker2

Kind Regards

Any overlays or monitoring software?

(GPU) driver updates

Adrenaline? Have you tried running without it?

No overlays, overall not a lot of tools installed on the machine. I basically only boot into Windows for the Unreal Editor. The Linux version is missing some features and I had some trouble working with it, so not an option.

I installed the latest Adrenalin driver. I also tried older versions but that didn’t help. I don’t think I started with the default Windows driver though. Just tried that and the flickering actually went away, but then the editor will complain about known rendering issues and missing features with the default driver and recommends downloading Adrenalin again :smile:

I just found that I can change the render hardware interface in the project settings (Project Settings - Platforms - Windows - Default RHI). As soon as I select DirectX 12 (which is the default), the flickering will start. It doesn’t matter which shader format is selected. DirectX 11 and Vulkan both work just fine. The Vega 56 does support DirectX 12 though, so that’s strange.

1 Like

Nvidia drivers had plenty of issues in the past, mainly the interface. Amd hardly ever comes up.