Fixing Bone orientation

Greetings,
I’ve been testing out generic daz3d figures in unreal but on import the figures pectoral bones seem to be reversed. Is there any way to fix the issue at or after import?

There are a couple of ways to fix it. One way is to re-edit the bone orientation inside the blender.

Another way is I would recommend you to use the bridge plugin. It allows a better approach for fixing the bone orientation on import.

1 Like

i did import the model with the Daz to Unreal plugin. The above borked result is what I get. How would I correct the orientation on import?
Much obliged for the reply by the way.

Try to read this documentation part and see if it works.

http://davidvodhanel.com/daz-to-unreal-fix-bone-rotations-option/

1 Like

That doesn’t seem to fix the reversed pectoral bones issue.

It’s hard to see what you meant by the figures pectoral bones seem to be reversed. because your picture is on the right side and it is hard to see the shoulders bone. If you really want the bone to behave as you want it to, then you have to re-edit it inside the blender.

At this point, my guess is you are using the genesis 2 character model? Genesis 2 character model has some issues with the skeleton, the best choice here is to either convert it to genesis 3/8 character or you can re-do the skeleton yourself in the blender.

1 Like

Oh no it’s a g8 figure. Have a look.

I see what you are doing here but again, what’s your final goal of adjusting the bones? Here’s something for you from my experimentation.

1. You don’t have to include the pectorals for general retargeting as they are the children of the chestLower bone.
  2. You can still animate it using the control rig like other bones. With the control rig, you can adjust/tweak how each bone should behave with the respective controls.
  3. You can still rotate pectoral bones normally with the current rotation. I see no problem. You can also change your rotation mode to adjust it to your desired rotation.
  4. Want to animate it in other software? Then, just use the same character model to animate it and you can import the animation into unreal with the same skeleton.
  5. Lastly, if you still want to do it your way, then I’m afraid you have to do the adjustments yourself.

Hope it helps.

1 Like

Much obliged. I did realize later that the wonky position of the bones doesn’t actually affect the model. Much ado about nothing in hindsight. Thanks for the tips.