Fix for AMD Driver Crash? [Solutions inside]

Your Projects configuration files would be a start to look at, keep in mind that this disables all per object shadows so you only have whole-scene shadows or distance field shadows (which i like more to be honest).

Great News: The issue is completely fixed in 4.12/master branch, so it’ll probably make it into 4.11 at some point.

And it’s back. I wonder how long it takes AMD to fix it on their end just for Epic to somehow find another bug?

Latest 16.3.1 driver fixed it for me, if you haven’t tried that yet.

Works, added to solutions.

I’m also experiencing this problem. My driver is still in 15.3 but when i check for updates, it says me I have the newest version. Do you have a solution ?

You probably have a WHQL version (16.3.1 is not yet WHQL so it won’t upgrade automatically). Here’s what you need to do:
Download the driver manually (link in main post), uninstall your old one (See Changing AMD Drivers) and install the new one.

Okay thank you.

Hey , So have you been able to solve this successfully ? Have you encountered any issue within the past year ?

I have R9 285 also and it keeps crashing when using UE4. What drivers are you using , the latest drivers or is there a specific one like the one in the top on this page ?

These crashes/freezes were fixed by AMD since 16.12.1, if you still experience these, ensure that your GPU isn’t overheating, the fans are turning and not full of dust and that the card is not overclocked.

well actually i haven’t measured the temperature before until this issue happens. It reads 60 - 62 celcius around, do you think it is too much to crash ?

Do you have a power supply large enough to supply the necessary 450W the R9 285 draws? Otherwise, I’m not sure why it is crashing on your system. I have a 750W 80+ Platinum PSU and since then the card has been stable with minor crashes until AMD fully patched them.

Usually the first artifacts are seen at 80°C, with the critical temperature being 90°C and finally the death of ICs being at ~95-100°C (melting)

I have 600W power supply. It has only crashing in Unreal Engine. I’ve just opened Infiltrator demo and after 10 mins or so it crashed again. in bottom of the crash log it says “DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG” or “DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_RESET”

By the way i’ve recently formatted my pc and installed windows 10 enterprise, before i was using home edition. I don’t know if it is related or not.

No idea, I haven’t had an issue with the card for a while now.