Fish

Unfortunately the Forums were down last week and I didn’t get the chance to announce that Fish is now live in the marketplace.

I was also very proud that Fish was Featured as well :smiley:
bda6f4c7dc4069ee773b0be8d8728b68c17e2ce0.jpeg

These fish are pretty “fresh” for the Marketplace. :cool: We really enjoy this pack and look forward to seeing more of your work in our Marketplace submission!

Picked up a copy as soon as it was released, would love to see an update with some player avoidance AI in there.

This is at the top of the list for the first update.

and Thank you Reubitron, you made my day :slight_smile:

Will there be any Bass in future updates? :smiley:

would it be possible to make the fish swim towards the player? if so could anyone guide me to achieving it?

First off, great package. Well pleased with my purchase. However, I have a question. Is there an easy feasible way of clamping their height without using a blockihng volume on the top of the water as I would like my player to be able to enter and exit the water without having fish flying off into the air. Thanks.

This is what collision channels are for, There are many tutorials for setting them up.

Yeah, I’m using collision channels. Set up a specific channel and set a blocking volume with it above the water and changed the trace to look for it. Set up a print string off of it so I know its finding them in the traces, but they still swim through it. I must be missing something.

Figured it out. Had set up a custom trace channel rather than a custom object for collision. Now it works great. Excellent product.

Glad you got it working Braix :slight_smile:

Any plans to add predators that will attack the fish or player

Hi! Unfortunately I can’t add that pack to one of my projects (4.14). I can only create a new project.
Might know how to solve this issue?

Just create a new project, then copy the Fish folder from the Content Folder (Documents > Unreal Projects > Fish > Content > Fish)
to your projects Content Folder. It’s just that easy :slight_smile:

Related
Fishing Pack | BP with Rod + Spline

Is there a way to create two separate groups of water targets? I’m hoping to have one collection of fish swim around group A, and a separate collection of fish around group B - Currently they are crossing the entire map to get to the other targets. I have them separated on different levels, but that doesn’t seem enough. The pack is proving great so far though!

Figured it out: Duplicate the water target blueprint to ‘BP_WaterTarget_B’ and place a few in your scene. Duplicate the base NPC fish and in its blueprint create a new variable for WaterTarget_B. In the Construction script, change the actor class to ‘BP_WaterTarget_B’ and then replace the ‘set’ node with your new water target variable. In the Event graph, there should be four references to the original water target that need to be replaced. Once compiled, any fish instances made from the new base NPC fish should only react to your new water targets

You would need to create that yourself. Set up a new base class to look for other targets you define, like “Group B” instead of “Water Targets”.
In the base class of the Fish, in the construction script of the blueprint (BP_NPC_Fish_Base), there is a “get all actors of class” node. That’s where you would swap out the current “Water Targets” with your new “Group B” targets.

Fish v1.5
Here is a preview of Fish version 1.5.
In Fish v1.5 I have taken the obstacle avoidance traces off of Tick and am instead running them through a looping timed Event. This means you can set the Fish to do line traces at whatever rate you choose. In this video I’m doing 3 trace pulses per second, instead of the 60 times per second we were getting through Tick. Needless to say this brings a huge performance benefit. I will be submitting this new build this week, so keep an eye out for it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, i really like this, i’ve bought this in the market place, to use it with my own fishes, i really dont know anything about Blueprints, i just have one question, how can i change the swiming speed of the fishes, to have differtent speeds.

great work by the way. thanks in advance (sorry for my bad english)