firstperson camera rotation speed

Hi There,

I have the thirdpersonbp enabled and added a firstpersoncamera in blueprints.

I want to slow down the camera movent drastically when i’m in the firstperson view mode.

adding a spring arm to my first camera doesn’t work…

Could appreciate some help!

Cheers,

PHilip

Hi Philip,

Are you mean the rate at which the camera rotates with the characters turning? If so check out the FPS template for how the camera works there.

If you’re meaning the whole motion with the FPS camera attached:

Adding a spring arm should help to a certain degree - but to get the motion down to a level that doesn’t make the player feel sick you need to smooth out your animations - I use iClone which has a “Reach” function - I set the base and top of the spine to stay mostly steady. Only for walking/strafing - I actually quite like the motion when the character is running/jumping etc.

Also - I set the playrate of the idle animations to 0 so they don’t move at all…

would you be willing to take a look at my settings through like a teams or zoom meeting? I’ll gladly pay you for it because i really need this to work…

@RecourseDesign

My internet doesn’t handle zoom (slow upload speeds) but you can email me at rd@recourse.nz with snapshots and I’ll take a look at it - no need for pay…

@RecourseDesign

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me. really appreciate it a lot.

So i have the thirdperson gamemode iinstalled and working.

I added a firstpersoncamera, and set it so that i can press “C” on my keyboard and switch between the firstpersoncamera (black camera) and the thirdpersoncamera (blue camera).

The thirdperson mode works well and smooth, but when i press “C” and switch to the firstperson camera, the camera movements are very sensitive. i only have to move my mouse a tiny bit for a huge shake to occur on my screen. I not necessarily want a delay in the camera movement, but only i want it move way less sensitive.

firstperson camera settings:

• parent socket = head
  • use pawn control rotation is on
  • camera is a child of the mesh

if you need more information than this please let me know!

You’re welcome.

You may find you get better results if you attach the first-person camera to the Capsule Component rather than the mesh - then the camera doesn’t move around all over the place with the mesh animations, just align it to the eyes of the idle animation.

This does end up making your mesh show through sometimes though (the down side) - you’ll see parts of your mesh around your camera.

You can fix this by either simply making sure the camera is always in front of your animated mesh (your arms may look incorrect though) or by hiding the head with a "HideBoneByName() and attach a Head Mesh (just the head) in the same place, and set that to owner no see: